Notwithstanding – Word of the Day for IELTS Writing & Speaking
Notwithstanding (preposition) \ˌnät-with-ˈstan-diŋ\
Meaning: in spite of something
Antonym: because of; on account of
- Notwithstanding the long delay, I still decided to set out for my journey.
Fill in the gap, using given words: notwithstanding, reluctant, levied, undergo, panel, integrity, convince, colleagues, enormous, albeit
1. The airport has _______________ a $10 surcharge for every passenger to cover the cost of renovations to the facility.
2. She has been _______________ to get into a relationship with a guy ever since her last boyfriend dumped her.
3. We continued our picnic, _______________ the light rain.
4. She is to _______________ knee surgery tomorrow morning.
5. As part of the job interview, you will be interviewed by a _______________ of people working in the department.
6. I ran into an old _______________ at a conference, and we went out for a beer after the workshop.
7. He has a reputation for _______________, and everyone trusts him completely.
8. Canada is an _______________ country, the second largest in the world.
9. My boyfriend is trying to _______________ me to get married, but I don’t think that I’m ready.
10. My parents have agreed, _______________ with some conditions, to let me borrow their car for the holidays.