Procure – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Procure /prəˈkjʊə $ proʊˈkjʊr/ (Verb)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Belief
- Boost Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: report
(formal) to obtain something, especially something that is difficult to get
Procure something for somebody
- He was accused of procuring weapons for terrorists
- Alice offered pamphlets and books, which she would procure for him.
- They had been procured in the early years of the century through a carefully orchestrated city campaign.
- He therefore persuaded a friend to procure him a ticket without disclosing his identity.
Try to use the word “procure” in your speech
Describe an occasion or event when you were congratulated
You should say:
- What was the occasion
- When was it
- Who congratulated you and why
We all get appreciations for the good things we do for others or for our great achievements or personal excellence. One such occasion when I was congratulated was the time when our debate team won the district level championship.
It was 2001 and I was a student of grade 8. I was an active member of our school debate team and had participated different solo and team debate competitions. The yearly inter-school level championship is considered to be a prestigious tournament and the final is broadcasted on local TV channels as well as on the radio. Our school had never been able to win the championship before 2001, though some of the debate teams participated till the semi-final round of the championship. This year I was the captain of the debate team and to everyone’s great surprise, we won the final. Most of the people of our city watched the final on TV and had been very excited, happy and proud that we won. The school arranged a ceremony to congratulate us for our achievement and I found more than 5 hundred students, their guardians and local people were present there. I was so proud, happy and excited about the occasion and when all those people started congratulating me, I felt like I was flying above the sky.
Later I procured many congratulations and appreciations in my life but the excitement and joy I felt on that occasion was incomparable. We walked through the long line towards the stage and people stood up and clapped their hands and were greeting us. Our teachers, local political leaders, upper-level government employees and renowned persons of the locality were also present there. The program lasted for 2/3 hours and we got many gifts and bouquets as well.
- Prestigious (Adjective): admired as one of the best and most important
- Broadcast (Verb): to send out radio or television programmes
- Guardian (Noun): someone who is legally responsible for looking after someone else’s child, especially after the child’s parents have died
- Incomparable (Adjective): extremely good, beautiful etc, and much better than others
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!