Tantamount – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Tantamount: (Adjective) /ˈtæntəmaʊnt/
if an action, suggestion, plan etc is tantamount to something bad, it has the same effect or is almost as bad
be tantamount to something
For IELTS Speaking:
“A simple error of judgement was tantamount to artistic suicide.”
“Critics say the arrangement is tantamount to a dictatorship.”
“For campaign strategists, this was tantamount to spinning straw into gold”
For IELTS Writing:
“At its worst, the life of faith is portrayed in a way that it is tantamount to spiritual repression.”
Choose the following words to fill in the blank: consequences, commissioned, distinct, journal, positive, focus, text, secure, affected, regions.
- The local government has _______________ a study to see if it is worth trying to save some of the old historic buildings downtowns.
- The results of the experiment were published in an important chemistry _______________.
- You are trying to do too many things at once. It would be better to just _______________ on one thing in order to do it properly.
- His job doesn’t pay very well, but it is very _______________, so he doesn’t really want to give it up.
- In some _______________ of Canada, winter lasts more than half the year.
- He broke the law, and now he has to face the _______________ of his actions.
- Japan covers four _______________ climate zones, from the tropics of Okinawa to the snow country of the far north.
- Her brother has just tested _______________ for AIDS, so she is very upset.
- In Michael’s mind it was _____________ to mutiny and he would not stand for anyone disagreeing with him.
- The economy of Canada has been _______________ a great deal by the Asian economic crisis.
Check out Vocabulary for IELTS Speaking & Writing on IELTS Material website to improve your vocabulary for IELTS and get a high score in IELTS.