Word – Croon
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
Croon – Word of the day
[noun] a soft, low voice or tone.
[Verb] hum or sing in a soft, low voice, especially in a sentimental manner.
Debated as Dutch and Irish origin.
From Middle Dutch kronen –> (“to groan, lament”) & Old Irish crónán
Verb examples – croon:
1. The cat was crooning like a new born baby
2. She was crooning near the dead body of her husband
3. Lisa was heard crooning along with the singer
Adjective examples – croon:
1. She woke up to the sound of the crooning cuckoo
2. She walked listening to music of the crooning leaves
3. She was standing in the terrace enjoying the crooning breeze
Noun examples – croon:
1. The singer’s voice altered between a croon and scream
2. The croon of the blind woman still rang in his ears
3. His croon in the singing competition did win a prize.