This invaluable little book highlights the real mistakes that students make in the exam – and shows how to avoid them. Based on analysis of thousands of exam scripts, each unit targets a key problem area. Clear explanations and exercises help students to use the language accurately.
Regular tests offer students a further opportunity to check and consolidate what they have learnt.
• Highlights common mistakes that learners really make.
• Based on analysis of thousands of exam scripts.
• Short, snappy explanations focus on key problem areas.
• Includes exam-style exercises.
About the Author
Julie Moore has been involved in ELT for over 12 years, working first as a teacher in Greece and the Czech Republic before returning to the UK to complete an MA at the University of Birmingham. In recent years, she has worked as a lexicographer on a number of learner’s dictionaries and has been involved in research, editing and writing on a range of ELT projects, especially in the areas of vocabulary and learner errors. Julie currently works as a freelancer from her home in Bristol.
Free Download book at here
Rate this book
- 5 star
- 4 star
- 3 star
- 2 star
By C. Herrador on 4 Nov. 2008
This book is quite small (for its price). However, it is divided in around 25 units. Each unit is about a specific grammar point in English. The rule is well and simply explained and followed with short exercises (with correction at the back of the book). After a few units, there is a "global" test with exercises about the specific points just seen. I would say this book can be a good complement (for someone with already a good level in English) but definitely not sufficient to practice or prepare the IELTS.
By Assya Ostroukh on 28 April 2011
It is not that small because it is VERY condensed and there is no waist of space as in other language books.
As for the content, it is exactly what students preparing for IELTS Academic need. It is not a textbook on how to take the test. It explains how to say and write correct phrases on IELTS topics. It has very good explanations on the first academic essay (the report). Use of articles and prepositions is explained well too.
Briefly, it is not a study-book that prepares you for exam. But it is very useful as a supplement. Strongly recommended for someone who wants to score at more than 6.5.
By S. Smith on 18 April 2014
This book is based on the actual mistakes that students commonly make in the IELTS exam, and gives clear guidance on how to avoid them. Its thirty sections are arranged broadly in order of difficulty, with the easiest and most common first. These sections are divided into ten groups, each followed by a revision test: there is also an answer key for all the tests. Each of the sections gives concise guidance on its topic followed by a short exercise to consolidate this.
I have used this to prepare students for the IELTS exam and have generally found it very useful for teaching in conjunction with other study aids. It may not be so useful for self-study, for two reasons. Firstly, there is no introduction or other guidance on how to use this book and, secondly, the brevity of its explanations can lead to misunderstandings.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!