Essential Reading for IELTS is a comprehensive preparation course for the IELTS Reading Module. It is designed to target a broad range of IELTS test-takers, from the pre-intermediate learners to those who have a higher level of proficiency.
Essential Reading for IELTS develops both test-taking skills and language necessary for you to achieve an IELTS Reading score between 5.0 and 6.5.
Main features of Essential Reading for IELTS:
Preparation and practice material is organized into three levels: Pre-intermediate, Intermediate, and Upper-intermediate. The book consists of 22 units with 52 lessons.
The units in each level are based on topics that frequently appear in the real test.
There are 3 sections in every lesson:
1. Warm-up: This section often takes the form of a discussion question, an interesting proverb, or an anecdote to introduce contexts and motivate the learners.
2. Skill Focus: Essential reading skills, especially those specific to the IELTS test, are introduced through this section.
3. Main Reading Text: This section provides targeted practice exercises so that you can apply what you have learned in the previous section and develop test-taking and language skills in focus. These exercises are very similar to real-test items in terms of question types and the level of difficulty. Major question types include:
• Multiple-choice questions
• Short-answer questions
• Sentence completion
• Notes / flowchart / table completion
• Labeling a diagram/map
• Summary completion
• Matching lists/phrases
• Matching paragraph headings
• Identification of information – True/False/Not Given
• An integral workbook gives extra practice material as well as reinforces key points on language and test-taking skills.
• Keys to all textbook and workbook exercises are also included to help you check the answers and monitor your progress.
The material in Essential Reading for IELTS has been carefully selected and arranged in sequential order to facilitate systematic learning and building up your language proficiency as well as your test-taking skills. However, if you do not have time to do it all, you can always focus on those units, lessons, or exercises that suit your level and specific needs.
Based on extensive research on the real-test format and rubrics, Essential Reading for IELTS is designed so that it can effectively assist you in achieving your target score in the shortest time possible. The authors are convinced that you will find Essential Reading for IELTS extremely helpful on your path to success with the International English Language Testing System.