Essential Reading For IELTS (Ebook) With PDF
‘Essential Reading for IELTS’ is a comprehensive preparation course for the IELTS Reading Module. It is designed to target a broad range of IELTS test-takers, from the pre-intermediate learners to those who have a higher level of proficiency.
‘Essential Reading for IELTS’ develops both test-taking skills and language necessary for you to achieve an IELTS Reading score between 5.0 and 6.5.
Main features of Essential Reading for IELTS:
Preparation and practice material is organized into three levels: Pre-intermediate, Intermediate, and Upper-intermediate. The book consists of 22 units with 52 lessons.
The units in each level are based on topics that frequently appear in the real test.
The book is organised into three sections:
Warmup: This section is the most interesting part of the lesson. It often contains proverbs, quotes by famous personalities or some questions for discussion.
Skill focus: This section emphasises on the key skills that are to be acquired to attempt an IELTS exam.
Main reading text: This part contains exercises to practice.
The need of the hour in IELTS exam is fast reading. The book aims to delve deep into the nuances of reading. It also has practise exercises to improve reading skills. The book trains the eye to find the central idea by employing techniques such as skimming, scanning, paraphrasing etc. The book also teaches on locating keywords, backtracking etc. These will enable the IELTS test-takers to confront the exam in a well-planned manner. The book focuses on strategies on how to approach a question, how to grasp the gist of the paragraph by just looking through it. All the aspects are discussed in-depth and contains practice exercises for the same. The book comprises of three levels. The topics dealt with, in each level is also given below.
- How to “scan” or “spot out” words in paragraphs.
- To predict the sort of structural cues that will occur in a paragraph (keys for readers to identify how the crux of the paragraph is derived).
- Training your eye to find sense groups.
- Identifying the places where the phrases will occur.
- Looking for specific information through structural cues.
- Classifying different types of sentences.
- Identifying topic sentences.
- Learning to differentiate between general information and specific information.
- Learning to paraphrase
- Finding synonyms.
- Paraphrasing sentences.
- Identifying what the pronouns convey.
- Identifying cause-effect relation.
- Identifying contrast relations. Finding related cues.
- Understanding analogies.
- Identifying the progressive development of an idea in paragraphs.
- Sensing parallel relationships between sentences or paragraphs.
- Improving reading by identifying transitional cues.
- Identifying expressions.
- Learning coherence or progressive development of ideas and their implementation.
- Locating keywords.
- Understanding the structure of the passage.
- Identifying sentences by locating words.
- Reading charts.
- Segregating information based on the chart.
- Learning to answer questions based on the chart.
- Rapid reading to find specific information.
- Learning the art of Inferring.
- Learning the different types of contradictions to locate a FALSE statement.
- Logical inferring.
- Learning how to tackle TRUE/FALSE/NOT GIVEN.
- Direct and indirect speech.
- Understanding how the author supports his statement through facts and examples.
- Types of writing.
- Analysing the structure of the paragraph.
- Learning the art of predicting questions by looking at the paragraph.
- Learning the art of summarising.
- Understanding the main ideas.
- Learning to differentiate the views of the author from that of the quoted statements.
- Learning to differentiate between the main idea and supporting ideas.
- More on identifying the central idea and supporting ideas.
- Detailed reading.
- Forming a mind map rather than reading word by word.
- Developing a strategy to attempt questions.
Also check :
- Tips to Improve IELTS Reading Skills
- Free IELTS Book
- IELTS preparation books
- Advanced English Grammar in Use
- The key to IELTS Success pdf
- Official IELTS Practice Materials
- IELTS Practice Test Plus 3 pdf