20 Best IELTS Preparation Books for Self Study 2023
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
- 1 IELTS Preparation Books
- 1.1 1. IELTS Academic: A Comprehensive Learner’s Bundle ( July – December 2023)
- 1.2 2. IELTS Reading General: Learner’s Kit: Actual Tests eBook Combo (July – December 2023)
- 1.3 3. The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
- 1.4 4. IELTS Academic Test Preparation Set of 6 Books by Career Launcher (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking, Grammar and Aviator)
- 1.5 5. English Collocations in Use
- 1.6 6. English Vocabulary in Use
- 1.7 7. New Insight into IELTS
- 1.8 8. Barron’s IELTS Practice Exams
- 1.9 9. Official IELTS Practice Materials Volume 1 & 2
- 1.10 10. Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS
- 1.11 11. Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
- 1.12 12. IELTS Advantage Series
- 1.13 13. Improve your IELTS Skills Series
- 1.14 14. Cambridge IELTS Trainer with Answers
- 1.15 15. English Grammar in Use
- 1.16 16. Target Band 7: IELTS Academic Module – How to Maximize Your Score by Simone Braverman
- 1.17 Simone Braverman’s Target Band 7
- 1.18 17. IELTS Academic COMBO Pack of Latest 5 books, Achievers 9 Bands January 2023 New Edition Perfect Paperback
- 1.19 18. IELTS Trainer 2 Academic (South Asian Edition) Unknown Binding – 1 January 2023
- 1.20 19. Focus on IELTS Foundation: Foundation Coursebook
- 1.21 20. Ace The IELTS: IELTS General- How To Maximize Your Score- Simone Braverman
- 2 How do these IELTS Books help in your IELTS Preparation?
Embark on a journey of knowledge and expansion through the world of books – your ultimate companions on the path to IELTS success. These literary allies hold the key to achieving your desired band score, but remember, the books you select determine your triumph in the test.
Introducing our curated selection of the finest IELTS books that stand ready to empower you. Each page, a step closer to your dream score. However, your choice should mirror your unique requirements, ensuring a harmonious partnership between you and the wisdom within those pages. Explore, decide, and elevate your IELTS journey!
IELTS Preparation Books
Are you searching for the best IELTS books to prepare in the best way for the IELTS test? Look no further. Here are our list and reviews of the 20 best IELTS books or study materials for 2023(for both academic and general training).
|Sr No.||Books for IELTS preparation||Author||Buy on|
|1||Comprehensive IELTS Writing (General) Band 8 Preparation Course||IELTSMaterial.com||IELTSMaterial.com’s Store|
|2||IELTS Academic: A Comprehensive Learner’s Bundle ( July – December 2023)||IELTSMaterial.com||IELTSMaterial.com’s Store|
|3||The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS||Cambridge||Amazon|
|4||IELTS Academic Test Preparation Set of 6 Books by Career Launcher (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking, Grammar and Aviator)||Career Launcher||Amazon|
|5||English Collocations in Use||Felicity O’Dell, Michael McCarthy||Amazon|
|6||English Vocabulary in Use||Michael McCarthy, Felicity O’Dell||Amazon|
|7||New Insight into IELTS||Cambridge||Amazon|
|8||Barron’s IELTS Practice Exams||Dr Lin Lougheed||Amazon|
|9||Official IELTS Practice Materials Volume 1 & 2||Cambridge||Amazon|
|10||Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS||Pauline Cullen||Amazon|
|11||Cambridge Grammar for IELTS||Diana Hopkins||Amazon|
|12||IELTS Advantage Series||Richard Brown, Lewis Richards||Amazon|
|13||Improve your IELTS Skills Series||Sam Mccarter||Amazon|
|14||Cambridge IELTS Trainer with Answers||Louise Hashemi, Barbara Thomas||Amazon|
|15||English Grammar in Use||Raymond Murphy||Amazon|
|16||Target Band 7: IELTS Academic Module – How to Maximize Your Score by Simone Braverman||Simone Braverman||Amazon|
|17||IELTS Academic COMBO Pack of Latest 5 books, Achievers 9 Bands January 2023 New Edition Perfect Paperback||Arunlata||Amazon|
|18||Focus on IELTS Foundation: Foundation Coursebook||Sue O’connell||Amazon|
|19||IELTS Trainer 2 Academic (South Asian Edition) Unknown Binding – 1 January 2023||Cambridge University Press||Amazon|
|20||Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score||Simone Braverman||Amazon|
1. IELTS Academic: A Comprehensive Learner’s Bundle ( July – December 2023)
- What stands out is that it has the latest IELTS questions (July – December 2023).
- The answers are also provided by IELTS experts. The pack contains 41 listening tests and 35 reading tests with answers.
- The Speaking book has an intensive 110 part 1 questions and 92 part 2/3 questions with answers.
- You get sample answers and essay ideas for 84 IELTS questions in Writing Task 2 and 100 reports in Writing Task 1.
- This book is ideal for IELTS preparation at home but can also be used in a classroom setting.
2. IELTS Reading General: Learner’s Kit: Actual Tests eBook Combo (July – December 2023)
It is a pack of 5 eBooks. The combo has the latest questions (January – April 2023) on Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing Task 1, and Writing Task 2 of the General module.
- It has sample answers [For Speaking and Writing] written by IELTS experts.
- The pack has 41 listening tests and 20 reading tests with answers.
- While the Speaking book has an intensive 110 part 1 questions and 92 part 2/3 questions with answers, the book on writing task 2 has 84 essay questions with answers.
- Also, there are 27 sets of letters for Writing task 1.
- Each set will contain a formal, semi-formal and informal letter. This book is ideal for IELTS preparation at home but can also be used in a classroom setting.
3. The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS’ is the definitive guide to IELTS from the organization that produces the test – Cambridge Assessment English.
- This guide covers all 4 IELTS sections (writing, reading, speaking, listening) to provide you with useful step-by-step instructions, tips, and hints for IELTS and focuses on skills development and test-taking strategy to help you maximize your band-score and has 10 practice tests for both Academic and General Training.
- It is recommended for IELTS learners who aim to get a 6.0 or above in the IELTS test.
You can register for IELTS while preparing for IELTS.
We would recommend it for IELTS learners who aim to get a 6.0 or above in the IELTS test.
4. IELTS Academic Test Preparation Set of 6 Books by Career Launcher (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking, Grammar and Aviator)
Drawing upon several years of teaching experience and in-depth research, this book is an integral part of the overarching theme. It provides a great learning experience since it encompasses concept-based learning that revolves around various relevant themes with an adequate number of practice exercises that reinforce learning.
The package consists of 6 books, suitable for the IELTS Academic Test, i.e,
5. English Collocations in Use
To sound like a native speaker, you should check this book out without fail! Whether you’re striving for precision in your written assignments or aiming to speak with fluency and authenticity, this book is your passport to unlocking the subtleties of English collocations.
- It’ll help you improve your style of spoken and written English with 60 lessons on a rich variety of topics, each containing 2 pages for the theory and practice exercises with a total of more than 1,500 collocations.
- This book is ideal for IELTS learners at the intermediate level and above.
- To get Band 6.5+ for IELTS, this excellent book, English Collocations in Use, is highly recommended.
6. English Vocabulary in Use
This book series is known as the best-selling vocabulary reference and practice books from elementary to advanced level and is the perfect choice for IELTS learners wanting to build their vocabulary skills.
My personal favorite book in the family of the best-selling vocabulary books is ‘English Vocabulary in Use (Upper-Intermediate edition). The main features of this book are:
- Vocabulary is explained and presented on left-hand pages with a wealth of innovative follow-up activities opposite.
- 100 units, covering approximately 3,000 new vocabulary items
- Offers learners the opportunity to consolidate and expand existing vocabulary
This book is suitable for anybody who has a burning desire to get band 6.5 or above in the IELTS test.
7. New Insight into IELTS
New Insight into IELTS’ offers comprehensive preparation and practice for IELTS. By exploring the test paper-by-paper, and looking in detail at each task type, the course gradually builds up the skills, language, and test techniques students need to approach IELTS with confidence.
- The course contains a detailed introduction to the test and a full answer key and is one of the best IELTS books for use in the classroom or for self-study.
- The material is intended for students whose current level is around Band 6 and is suitable for both Academic and General Training candidates.
8. Barron’s IELTS Practice Exams
Barron’s is the leader in test preparation and students’ #1 choice. It is your comprehensive resource for preparing and excelling in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination.
Within these pages, you will find a carefully curated collection of practice exams, meticulously designed to mirror the format and content of the actual IELTS test.
- This newly updated second edition comes with two audio CDs
- It prepares test takers for success on the IELTS, an English competency test that’s recognized by leading colleges, universities, and government agencies in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
9. Official IELTS Practice Materials Volume 1 & 2
This book is a comprehensive teacher resource pack with the view to help prepare learners for the IELTS test.
- Written by Cambridge ESOL examiners and material writers with many years of experience preparing IELTS tests, this pack shows candidates how each of the tests is assessed and provides valuable tips.
- ‘These Official IELTS Practice Materials Volume 1 & 2’ offer samples of the Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking tests with sample answers and examiner comments.
10. Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS
This advanced version of ‘Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS’ covers the vocabulary needed by students who are aiming for band 6.5 and above in the IELTS tests and also provides students with practice exam tasks from each paper.
- ‘Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS Advanced’ focuses on guiding students to 6.5 and beyond by working on vocabulary-building strategies necessary for success at advanced levels.
- It includes useful tips on how to approach IELTS exam tasks and covers especially tricky areas such as paraphrasing and collocation.
11. Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
It is one of the best Grammar books for IELTS preparation.
- ‘Cambridge Grammar for IELTS’ has got you covered, in terms of the grammar needed for the IELTS test and also helps develop your listening skills.
- It includes a wide range of IELTS tasks from the Academic and General Training Reading, Writing, and Listening modules, and contains helpful grammar explanations and a grammar glossary.
12. IELTS Advantage Series
IELTS Advantage: Writing Skills – A book on IELTS Writing
‘IELTS Advantage: Writing Skills’ written by Richard Brown (Author), and Lewis Richards (Author) is a fully comprehensive resource designed for IELTS learners who want to achieve a grade of 7.0 or higher in the Writing section of the Academic IELTS test.
- Students are guided step-by-step through the different tasks in the writing module, using material developed in the classroom, by authors with many years’ experience in helping hundreds of IELTS candidates achieve a high IELTS score.
- It is one of the best books for IELTS in terms of learning how to write essays.
IELTS Advantage: Reading Skills
This book is suitable for IELTS learners who want to pass the IELTS Academic Reading Test with a grade of 6.5-7.5 or higher. It provides intensive preparation for success in the IELTS reading paper, with a focus on vocabulary development and paraphrase training. It teaches IELTS learners a range of key strategies for reading effectively and for understanding texts more easily, such as skimming, scanning, and speed-reading techniques, helping students to get better results in the Reading paper.
IELTS Advantage: Listening & Speaking Skills
‘IELTS Advantage: Speaking & Listening Skills’ is a comprehensive resource for all IELTS candidates who aim to get Band 6.5 or higher in the Speaking and Listening modules. IELTS learners are guided step-by-step through the different stages of the speaking and listening modules, and covering a wide range of topics that are likely to occur in the IELTS examination.
13. Improve your IELTS Skills Series
Improve Your IELTS Skills – Reading
‘Improve your IELTS Skills’ is for students aiming between bands 4.5 and 7.5. The series has three preparation courses, Academic Reading, Academic Writing, and Listening and Speaking. Its courses develop language, skills, and test techniques to help students achieve a higher IELTS score. The three books in the series may be used together as a complete course or may be used to target specific skills or they may be used separately to supplement other course books.
Improve Your IELTS Skills – Writing
This book puts emphasis on the importance of sentence structures, vocabulary, and improving one’s ideas from a variety of drills for the examination. This book is a must-have for all candidates for the IELTS test. Studying alone or with a coach, ‘Improve Your IELTS Writing Skills’ will definitely be the best English proficiency training for you.
Improve Your IELTS Skills – Listening & Speaking
It is a complete preparation course for the Listening and Speaking Modules of the International English Language Testing System. Through targeted practice, it develops skills and language to help you achieve a higher IELTS score in these two modules.
14. Cambridge IELTS Trainer with Answers
‘IELTS Trainer’ by Cambridge English includes six full practice tests with easy-to-follow expert guidance and exam tips designed to guarantee success.
- The first two tests are fully guided with step-by-step advice on how to tackle each paper.
- Extra practice activities are informed by a bank of real candidates’ exam papers and focus on areas where students would typically need the most help.
15. English Grammar in Use
‘English Grammar in Use Fourth Edition’ is the world’s best-selling self-study grammar book for learners of English, written by Raymond Murphy and published by Cambridge University Press.
- It is a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate to advanced students of English. It has 136 two-page units covering all areas of English Grammar with a multitude of additional practice exercises to consolidate learning.
- I would highly recommend this book to any IELTS learners who want to get a 6.0 or above on the IELTS test.
16. Target Band 7: IELTS Academic Module – How to Maximize Your Score by Simone Braverman
This excellent self-study book for intense IELTS preparation is designed to help students achieve their best personal score. All the tips, techniques, strategies, and advice are focused on maximizing students’ scores by increasing their task-solving speed and efficiency and preventing typical mistakes.
Simone Braverman’s Target Band 7
- One of the most attractive features of this book is its straightforward strategies that can be easily applied by candidates during their IELTS General exam.
- The approach followed by this book helps candidates cover the syllabus for IELTS in a shorter amount of time without compromising on the quality of the content.
17. IELTS Academic COMBO Pack of Latest 5 books, Achievers 9 Bands January 2023 New Edition Perfect Paperback
This is a combo pack of 5 ACADEMIC IELTS BOOKS which include Achievers IELTS books 9 Bands 4 in one for Speaking and Writing Academic Training (February 2023 Updated New Print Edition), Achievers IELTS 9 Bands Bool – 2, 15 Listening Practice Set With Answer Keys, Achievers IELTS 9 Bands Student’s NoteBook, Academic 10 Reading & 6 Listening Practice Tests with Answer keys as well as Sure Shot exam questions handy book
18. IELTS Trainer 2 Academic (South Asian Edition) Unknown Binding – 1 January 2023
IELTS Trainer 2 Academic (South Asian Edition)” is a highly specialized and thoughtfully crafted resource designed to empower South Asian candidates in their pursuit of excellence in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic exam. It stands as a testament to the commitment to delivering relevant and effective test preparation materials that cater to the distinct needs of students and professionals from the South Asian region.
- Six IELTS practice tests for perfect exam training, including details of the test format, question types, and scoring system, plus step-by-step guidance and tips.
- With six full practice tests, it offers easy-to-follow, expert guidance and tips designed to guarantee exam success.
- The first two tests are fully guided with step-by-step advice on how to tackle each paper.
- Extra grammar, vocabulary, and writing practice activities are informed by a bank of real candidates’ exam papers and focus on areas where students typically need the most help.
19. Focus on IELTS Foundation: Foundation Coursebook
Focus on IELTS Foundation provides substantial knowledge to the readers to help them build their English language skills for IELTS.
- With several practice exercises and practice question papers, candidates can significantly boost their preparation for IELTS using this book.
- This book also contains a language bank to help you with your basics for the English language so that you can score well in your IELTS General and other English language exams.
20. Ace The IELTS: IELTS General- How To Maximize Your Score- Simone Braverman
“Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score” is a book authored by Simone Braverman. It’s an indispensable companion for anyone aiming to conquer the IELTS General Module.
- The strength of this book lies in its clarity and comprehensiveness, covering every aspect of the IELTS General Module with meticulous attention to detail.
- It doesn’t just inundate you with information; it equips you with strategies and techniques to tackle each section of the exam effectively.
- The sample questions and practice tests are a treasure. They mimic the real IELTS exam, allowing you to gauge your progress and identify areas for improvement.
I hope you have found this article useful. Do you agree with my top 20 books for IELTS? Do you have any other recommendations? Comment down below.
How do these IELTS Books help in your IELTS Preparation?
One of the most crucial parts of your IELTS preparation is to make sure that the study material you are referring to is reliable and from a reputed publication. There are various IELTS preparation books available when it comes to the IELTS examination, therefore it is important to filter the good sources from the mediocre ones.
The books for IELTS mentioned in this article are published by well-known and popular publishers or authors who have personal and substantial experience with the IELTS exam. Thus, there is no doubt that every book mentioned in this article will significantly improve your skills and prepare you for giving a great IELTS performance.
What are you waiting for? Unlock your path to IELTS success with a free trial today!
These are the best IELTS preparation books that will give a boost to your IELTS Preparation and help you to score your desired band scores.
Also check :
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I stay motivated during self-study?
What tips do you have for a successful self-study journey for IELTS 2023?
How long does it take to prepare for IELTS on my own?
How will the listening practice tasks of these IELTS preparation books help me?
How will the Reading practice tasks of these IELTS preparation books help me?