‘Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS’ is written by Pauline Cullen and includes useful tips on how to approach IELTS exam tasks and especially covers the tricky areas such as the language needed to describe data and processes.
It is informed by the Cambridge International Corpus and the Cambridge Learner Corpus to ensure that the vocabulary presented is in genuine contexts and includes real learner errors. Also available is ‘Cambridge Vocabulary for Advanced’ (Band 6.5 or above).
Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS
The ‘Cambridge Vocabulary’ book covers the vocabulary required by students who aim to score band 6.5 or higher in the IELTS tests and provide them with the practice of exam tasks from each paper that is Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking. This practice book offers useful tips on vocabulary learning and how to approach the exam. The vocabulary is presented in realistic contexts, with learner errors highlighted to help candidates avoid similar hazards. The material can easily be used as a supplement to the exam coursebook. It also includes useful tips on how to approach the IELTS exam tasks and covers especially tricky questions such as paraphrase and collocation. The IELTS material provided in this book is suitable for self-study or homework tasks, and can also be used in class with the teacher.
Main Features :
- Aims to improve the accuracy of your vocabulary and help you be well prepared for IELTS.
- It provides you with useful vocabulary through listening and reading texts that reflect the materials used in the real IELTS test.
- Furnishes IELTS learners with new vocabulary in the context which helps them understand vocabulary thoroughly.
- Gives IELTS candidates opportunities to practice new words via exercises, which allows them to extend their vocabulary. Each unit has three pages of vocabulary exercises based on listening, reading, writing and speaking materials similar to those found in the real IELTS test.
- When studying this book, you can start off with your favourite units or study all the units from beginning to end thoroughly. Units 21 and 22 give helpful tips on learning new vocabulary and how to use a dictionary. These units provide a very useful introduction to learning vocabulary, so it may be a good idea to look at these first.
|Map of the book
IELTS Test summary
Unit 1 Growing up
Unit 2 Mental and physical development
Unit 3 Keeping fit
Unit 4 Lifestyles
Unit 5 Student life
Unit 6 Effective communication
Unit 7 On the move
Unit 8 Through the ages
Unit 9 The natural world
Unit 10 Reaching for the skies
Unit 11 Design and innovation
Unit 12 Information technology
Unit 13 The modern world
Unit 14 Urbanisation
Unit 15 The green revolution
Unit 16 The energy crisis
Unit 17 Talking business
Unit 18 The law
Unit 19 The media
Unit 20 The arts
Unit 21 Language building 1
Unit 22 Language building 2
Unit 23 Academic Writing Task 1
Unit 24 Academic Writing Task 2
Unit 25 General Training Writing Tasks 1 and 2
How to get it?
For Advanced edition, you can visit Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS Advanced Band 6.5+ with Answers and Audio CD (Cambridge English).
This advanced version of Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS covers all the vocabulary needed by students aiming for band 6.5 or higher in the IELTS tests and provides students with practice of exam tasks from each paper. Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS Advanced focuses on moving students to 6.5 and beyond by working on vocabulary-building strategies necessary for success at advanced levels. It includes useful tips on how to approach IELTS exam tasks and covers especially tricky areas such as paraphrase and collocation. It is informed by the Cambridge English Corpus to ensure that the vocabulary is presented in genuine contexts and includes real learner errors. The Audio CD contains listening and pronunciation exercises from each unit. The material is suitable for self-study or homework tasks, and may also be used in class with the teacher.
Also check :