Benefits of IELTS
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
Today, a degree from a foreign university holds a lot of value. Students always have the ambition to pursue higher education in the best college or university possible. Often, these academic institutions that people choose happen to be in a different country. Since countries like the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and many others are developed and have an excellent education system, people are more inclined to choose a university in these developed countries.
However, students need to meet certain eligibility criteria for studying in a foreign country, one of which is language proficiency. Therefore, if a student wishes to study in a major English-speaking country, they must give a language proficiency test and reach a specific benchmark score to be an eligible international student. In this article, we have talked about various benefits of choosing IELTS as the language proficiency test of choice.
Why Choose IELTS
When planning on migrating to an English-speaking country, students can choose from quite a few alternatives for language proficiency tests. That being said, the choice of language proficiency test depends on various factors like acceptance, authenticity and also standard of difficulty. However, choosing IELTS as your language proficiency test can be advantageous in several ways. Here are some benefits of taking the IELTS exam:
- Increase in Opportunities – The IELTS exam can open countless doors for individuals if they successfully achieve a high band score. As we know, the IELTS exam is accepted by numerous academic institutions across the world, and thus, when an individual has a high band score, their admission application is likely to be accepted. Similarly, if an individual is planning on seeking employment in an English-speaking country, their language proficiency holds a lot of importance and a decent IELTS score can improve their chances of being hired.
- Worldwide Acceptance – The IELTS exam is one of the most widely accepted language proficiency tests globally. It is accepted by a majority of the most popular study destinations and is prevalent in countries such as Australia, the UK, Canada and New Zealand. It is also accepted for most work and immigration visa applications by the governments of many major English-speaking countries. Thus, it can be safely noted that the IELTS has more validity and significance when it comes to English language proficiency tests.
- Availability of Study Resources – Since IELTS is one of the most favored, if not the most popular English language proficiency test, there are a plethora of study materials available for this exam. Students can find innumerable types of resources both online and offline for their preparation, giving them the freedom to choose the best. Today, a student can receive comprehensive IELTS training from the comfort of their homes from various online education platforms which may not be available for other language proficiency exams. Furthermore, due to the vast availability of resources and platforms for IELTS, students can prepare for the IELTS exam in any way they are comfortable.
- Development of language skills – The ability to communicate with proper fluency and grammatical accuracy is a crucial asset in this day and age. Excellent language skills are a necessity for being eligible candidates for most employment opportunities. Furthermore, since English is the most widely spoken and commonly used language globally, having substantial knowledge of the language is vital. Thus, when an individual is preparing for IELTS, they are not only preparing themselves for the exam, but they are also developing their language skills at the same time. Hence, when an individual attains a high band score in IELTS, it is also an indication that they are proficient in all aspects of the English language and capable of communicating effectively in most situations.
- Division of Academic and General tests – The IELTS exam is an English language proficiency test that is not only accepted by academic institutions but also by government, public and private organizations. There are two types of IELTS tests, IELTS Academic and IELTS General, and both have different purposes and are meant for specific groups of people. The IELTS Academic test is intended for students who wish to study in an English-speaking environment or academic institution. IELTS Academic can also be used for professional registration purposes. The IELTS General test is taken by individuals who wish to work, immigrate or study below degree level in an English-speaking country. It can also be taken for work experience or employment training purposes. Therefore, this division enables one to take up the exam a per requirement without dealing with unnecessary tough tests.
Acceptance of IELTS
One of the reasons that people prefer IELTS over other English proficiency tests is its wide acceptance. Over 9000 colleges, universities and government institutions in more than 135 countries accept the IELTS exam as valid proof of English proficiency for study, work or migration. The score can be used for college and visa applications across the world. Some of the most popular countries and some of their reputed universities where IELTS is accepted are listed below.
Choosing a language proficiency test is an important decision as the language proficiency test scores are used for several educational and migration purposes. Consequently, an individual must choose their language proficiency test according to their future plans in the country they are travelling to and the institutes or organizations they wish to apply to using the language proficiency test scores.
For example, if an individual wish to study at a master’s level degree course in Canada, IELTS Academic would be the recommended language proficiency test. On the other hand, the IELTS General is recommended for any type of work visa requirements in Canada itself. Hopefully, this article will help aspiring students understand the benefits of IELTS and make an informed decision when choosing a language proficiency test.