IELTS Canada – IELTS for Canada Immigration | Study in Canada
- 1 IELTS Exam for Canada
- 2 Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB)
- 3 Study in Canada
- 4 Canada Express Entry Program
- 5 IELTS score for Canada
- 6 Should I choose IELTS general or academic for Canada immigration?
- 7 IELTS Validity for Canada
- 8 Can I take the IELTS for Canada in India?
- 9 IELTS Canada Exam Model Answers
IELTS Exam for Canada
In Canada, while working it becomes essential for the immigrants and those coming from abroad to be able to communicate in the official language. Even while seeking employment, proof of language proficiency, like the IELTS exam, in English may be required. Depending on the organization, they may check your English language skills, as to, how well you can fit into the Canadian workplace. IELTS is accepted by Immigration Refugees Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as a part of the English proficiency test.
What is the recommended English exam for canada immigration ?
IELTS is one of the best English test for Canada immigration.
Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB)
The Canadian Language Benchmarks is the national standard for measuring and recognizing the English language proficiency for the immigrants who plan to migrate to Canada. This is scaled, based on different levels of communication and tests the ability of people who use English as their second language for communication.
The scales have 12 benchmarks that are divided into 3 stages, beginner, intermediate and advanced and each stage is divided into 4 levels, initial, developing, adequate and advanced. There are 4 different benchmarks for the 4 different sections like speaking, listening, reading and writing because each of them will have strengths and weaknesses in each of the sectors.
Study in Canada
In Canada, although the tuition fees must be paid by the individuals, the universities are partly funded by the government. The official language used for giving instructions in many Canadian universities is English. If your first language isn’t English then you may have to prove that you have sufficient ability to complete the university level English courses. But in case, you meet any one of the conditions given below then, you won’t have to give the proof of English proficiency.
- Language learned and used on a daily basis is English.
- You have obtained a degree of under graduation or post-graduation from a foreign country where English is used as a language for instructions.
- If you have a postgraduate or an undergraduate degree in the known institutes of Canada or the United States of America.
- Have studied or worked at least for 4 years where English is treated as the primary language.
And in case if you don’t meet any of these above conditions then you’ll have to provide the IELTS test scores along with the application.
Also check :
- How to score band 8 in IELTS
- IELTS exam dates
- IELTS Test centres
- Universities in Canada accepting IELTS Score 6
- Universities in Australia accepting IELTS Score 6
- Universities in UK accepting IELTS Score 6
- Universities in Canada accepting IELTS Score for MBA
- Universities in Australia accepting IELTS Score for MBA
- Universities in UK accepting IELTS Score for MBA
Canada Express Entry Program
Canada Express Entry Program is a flagship immigration program, introduced in 2015 by the Federal Government of Canada. This program helps skilled workers from all over the world to settle in Canada and contribute to the economy. It also aims to process visa applications faster.
Express entry program is used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for managing and processing the applications received for Canada’s 3 federal economic immigration programs for skilled workers. It is an online application management system.
The 3 federal economic immigration programs are:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program.
- Federal Skilled Trades Program.
- Canadian Experience Class.
IELTS score for Canada
Canada is among the countries said to have the best immigration policies and also one of the best education systems in the world. The United Nations have voted Canada as the best country in relation to the standard of living and education policies.
The IELTS is one of the most important tests for proficiency in the English language and is required by most of the English speaking countries, including Canada.
IELTS General or Academic for Canada PR:
Are you confused as to which IELTS to take for Canada PR?
To qualify for a permanent residence in Canada, you’ll have to take the IELTS General Training Test and in order to study in Canada, you’ll have to take up the IELTS Academic Test.
The IELTS exam will test your English Language at all the levels, i.e. reading, writing, speaking and listening and the overall band score will be given from 1-9. The overall band that you score, is very important for the purpose of migration, studying or for employment.
IELTS Academic Score
The official language used for instructions used in most of the universities in Canada is English, so if you’re coming from abroad you’ll be required to give an English proficiency test certificate whenever you apply for any of the university.
Most of the universities in Canada expect a band score of at least 6.5, although it’s advisable that you enquire about the required band score from the university you plan to apply at, before writing the test.
IELTS General Training Score
There are different programs in express entry and for each program, there are different IELTS scores required which are converted into Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB). The express entry works by creating and completing the electronic express entry profile which consists of true information about the candidate and their spouse.
IELTS exam for Canada PR
The IELTS exam is really important for a Permanent resident and there is no other way around it.
IELTS band score for Canada PR:
Is 7.5, a good IELTS score for Canada immigration? What is the minimum band for Canada PR? We know that many of you have such questions. Here’s a table that clarifies all your doubts.
|IELTS Canada PR||Basic||Better than basic||Good||Better||Best|
|Listening||4.5 – 5.5||6 -7||7.5||8||8.5 – 9|
|Reading||3.5 – 5||6||6.5||7||8 – 9|
|Writing||4 – 5.5||6||6.5||7||7.5 – 9|
|Speaking||4 – 5.5||6||6.5||7||7.5 – 9|
IELTS Test Format for Canada:
As seen from the table above, the test format is the same with four sections namely, Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
Should I choose IELTS general or academic for Canada immigration?
If you’re a student, you should opt for IELTS Academic. If it is work related , then you can choose IELTS General.
IELTS Validity for Canada
According to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), IELTS results are valid for a period of 2 years from the date of issue of the result.
Can I take the IELTS for Canada in India?
You can take the test from anywhere in the world. It does not make a difference.
IELTS Canada Exam Model Answers
Here are the materials for the IELTS Canada exam preparation based on Past Papers.
- IELTS Speaking Exam In Canada – Jan 2019 & Band 9 Model Answers With Audio
- IELTS Speaking Test In Canada – Feb 2018 & Model Answers
- IELTS Speaking Actual Test In Canada – Feb 2019 & Band 9 Model Answers
- IELTS Speaking Test In Canada – March 2018 & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Actual Test In Canada – July 2017 & Model Answers
- IELTS Speaking Test In Canada – May 2017 & Sample Answers
- IELTS Writing Test In Canada – May 2017 & Band 8.0 Model Answers
- IELTS Speaking Actual Test In Canada – April 2017 & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Actual Test In Canada – March 2017 With Sample Answers
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is IELTS more preferred in Canada?
What is the minimum IELTS score required in Canada?
In my first attempt in IELTS, I scored a band 4 in writing test. So I took the test again, and this time I scored band 5 in the Listening test. I had scored band 6 in Listening test in my previous attempt. Can I club the two results?
I’m an anglo Indian who wants to settle in Canada. Do I need to take IELTS exam (because I’m a native English speaker)
I’m an Indian studying in London. I want to settle down in Canada. Do I need to take the test from India only?