This workbook provides material to revise and build the vocabulary needed to pass the IELTS examination. It contains activities to help students prepare for the general training or academic modules of the IELTS exam.
It comes with instructions and combines both self-study and classroom exercises.
- Achieve IELTS Grammar and Vocabulary (Ebook+Audio)
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 13) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update]
- 15 IELTS Practice Tests (Book)
- IELTS Success Formula For Academic & General Training Module (Book)
- Cambridge IELTS 13 Academic Student’s Book with Answers (PDF & Audio CD)
This workbook has been written for students who are planning to sit either the general training or the academic modules of the IELTS exam. It covers some of the main vocabulary points that you will need for, or come across in, the listening, reading, writing and speaking sections of the exam. Hope that you find the modules in this book useful and that the vocabulary you acquire will help you to achieve the grade you want in the IELTS.
Structure of the IELTS Workbook Each vocabulary area is presented in the form of a self-contained module with task-based activities which present each vocabulary item in a real context.
- Pages 1 – 48 focus on general vocabulary items which can be used in all aspects of your English. Some of these are relevant to specific tasks in the IELTS exam (for example, describing how something works, writing a letter or describing a table).
- Pages 49-95 focus on topic-specific vocabulary areas which may be required in the exam (for example, education, business and industry or global problems). Each module consists of three tasks: the first two present vocabulary items in context, and the third gives you the opportunity to review the vocabulary in the form of a gap-fill exercise.
Using the IELTS Workbook You should not go through the modules mechanically. It is better to choose areas that you are unfamiliar with, or areas that you feel are of specific interest or importance to yourself.
Vocabulary Record Sheet Remember that you should keep a record of new words and expressions that you learn, and review these from time to time so that they become an active part of your vocabulary. There is a vocabulary record sheet at the back of the book which you can photocopy as many times as you like and use to build up your own personal vocabulary bank.
Extending Your Vocabulary Also remember that there are other methods of acquiring new vocabulary. For example, you should read as much as possible from a different variety of authentic reading materials (books, newspapers, magazines, etc).
Using an English dictionary To help you learn English, you should use an English dictionary that can clearly define words, provide information about grammar and give sample sentences to show how words are used in context. You can use any good learner’s English dictionary with this workbook, but it has been written using the material in the English Dictionary for Students (ISBN 1 901659-06-2), published by Peter Collin Publishing (www.petercoilin.com).
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) This workbook has been written to help you improve your vocabulary when working towards the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination. The IELTS English examination is administered by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate, The British Council and IDP Education Austrailia.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (January – April) & Sample Answers - October 20, 2018
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Art & Technology with Model Essay - May 30, 2018
- 15 IELTS Practice Tests (Book) - May 29, 2018