Collins Work on your Idioms features the 300 most commonly used idioms. It provides plenty of useful practice with authentic, up-to-date examples of usage in context.
The book is suitable for:
- intermediate to advanced learners
- IELTS Learner
You can use the book:
- as a self-study course
- as supplementary material on a general English course.
Work on your Idioms contains:
- 25 units covering over 300 of the most common idioms
- a comprehensive answer key
- appendices which include: a study guide with tips to help you remember idioms and use them correctly, and a section covering American English versions of the idioms in the units
- an index to help you find idioms quickly and easily.
Idioms are figurative phrases that exist in all languages. They have a literal meaning, but they also have a figurative meaning, which is not always obvious. They form an important part of everyone’s vocabulary and are used both in formal and informal language. They are, however, much more common in informal, spoken English. They should not be confused with slang, which is very often inappropriate in certain social situations.
The idioms in this book are grouped by topic to make them easier to remember and to help you use and understand them in everyday situations. The idioms are presented alphabetically and in large bold type over two pages in each unit, so that you can see them clearly and find them easily.
Check for Free IELTS Book
Each unit is presented over four pages. The first two pages of each unit present the idioms, together with full sentence definitions, examples, and notes. The second two pages provide exercises to help you practise using the idioms. Each unit is self-contained, so you can study the units in any order, by selecting the topic you want to study.