Idiom – Jumping the gun
Jumping the gun – Idiom of the day
to do something too soon, especially without thinking carefully about it.
During the track and field races in the early 1900s, a gun will be fired for the race to begin. The athletes should start the race when they hear the gunshot, and any athlete that would start before the gunshot was said to jump the gun.
- Do not jump the gun until you are extremely sure of it.
- I know this job isn’t satisfactory, but don’t jump the gun and leave until you find another one.
- Let’s not jump the gun yet! We have to look at all the information given to us.
- He jumped the gun and booked the flights before I gave him a confirmation.
- The news channel jumped the gun and gave out information before the case came to an end.
- I am sure he jumped the gun and came to a conclusion before he heard the story. He’s always been like this.
Sarah: I am planning to shift to Dubai.
Farah: Do not jump the gun! Wait till you’ve got a job there.
Kate: I like him so much.
Hina: Yeah, I can see that!
Kate: Oh, yes. I think I might ask him to marry me.
Hina: What? No!
Kate: Why not?
Hina: Listen, don’t you think you are jumping the gun? It’s only been 6 months.