State-Of-The-Art – Word Of The Day For IELTS
/ˌsteɪt əv ði ˈɑːrt/ (a)
Definition: using the most modern or advanced techniques or methods; as good as it can be at the present time
Synonyms: modern, advanced, cutting-edge, ultramodern, progressive, up-to-the-minute
Antonyms: old-fashioned, conventional, traditional
- The government is spending an excessive amount of money on the production of state-of-the-art military equipment.
- The state-of-the-art museum is considered a prime place for the preservation of these Egyptian artifacts.
- The hospital is fully equipped with state-of-the-art facilities which will contribute greatly in the effects of medical treatments as well as the operation itself.
- The newly installed security system of my apartment building has incorporated the state-of-the-art face recognition technology as a result of several attempted burglaries in the last few months.
Excessive (a): greater than what seems reasonable or appropriate
Military equipment (n):
Contribute (v): to increase, improve or add to something
Prime (a): of the best quality; excellent
Preservation (n): the act of keeping something in its original state or in good condition
Artifact (n): an object that is made by a person, especially something of historical or cultural interest
Incorporate (v): to include something so that it forms a part of something
Attempted (a): (of a crime, etc.) that somebody has tried to do but without success
Burglary (n): the crime of entering a building illegally and stealing things from it
Where do you often go swimming in your city?
I have to admit living in an urban area has its perks, one of which is a variety of sports and entertainment facilities available. Swimming is the only sport I’m good at and I usually go to a local recreation center every weekend for swimming workouts. I’m totally in love with the amenities there since it offers a wide range of state-of-the-art fitness equipment at a reasonable price. As for swimming, it has a modern shower area as well as sauna and steam room for more thorough relaxation.
- Perk (n): special benefit that are given to people who have a particular job or belong to a particular group.
- Amenity (n): a feature that makes a place pleasant, comfortable or easy to live in
- Thorough (a): done very carefully and in a detailed way so that nothing is forgotten