IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic & Questions: Cooking/Food
Q1: What kinds of food do you particularly like?
I’d have to say Asian cuisine is my favorite. I am a huge fan of the bold flavors and spices used in Korean and Vietnamese dishes. Something I often daydream about eating is X, which is a tip-smacking noodle soup dish served with a crab broth. It’s every bit as delicious as it sounds.
- 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Patience & Model Answers
- 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Bringing Things & Model Answers
- IELTS Speaking Questions (Part 1, 2, 3) & Sample Answers – Topic: Health
- 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Television & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers
Bold flavor (phrase) strong flavor
Tip-smacking (adj) delicious
Broth (noun) soup consisting of meat or vegetable chunks
Q2: Is there any food you don’t like?
It’s true that there are a few things that kind of put me off. For example, I cannot stand Y, which is essentially a shrimp paste. A lot of people like it, though, but I think it smells awful. Definitely not my cup of tea.
Put someone off (phrase) cause someone to lose interest or enthusiasm
Not my cup of tea (idiom) not what one likes or is interested in
Q3: What kinds of food are most popular in your country?
I think street food is a staple around here. You can find bustling food stalls all around our nation, and they are my go-tos for a cheap and cheerful meal. I mean gourmet restaurants are nice and all, but street food is what our country is all about.
Staple (noun) an important product, especially a food, that people eat or use regularly
Bustling (adj) a bustling place is full of noise and activity and is usually pleasant and interesting
Gourmet restaurant (phrase) describe a class of restaurant, cuisine, meal or ingredient of high quality, of special presentation, or high sophistication
Q4: Do you like cooking? (Why?/ Why not?)
Actually, I’d like to think that cooking is my forte. I developed a passion for culinary arts when I first watched the cooking show Masterchef. Since then, I have learnt a lot of recipes and I can easily whip up a good dinner.
Whip up (phrasal verb) prepare something to eat very quickly
Forte (noun) something that someone is very good at or knows a lot about
Composed and edited by Dang Tran Tung, IELTS 9.0
Tip for IELTS Speaking:
Use relative clauses to make your sentence longer, for example:
– I cannot stand Y, which is essentially a shrimp paste
– Something I often daydream about eating is X, which is a tip-smacking noodle soup dish served with a crab broth.
You can get our IELTS speaking ebook titled “IELTS Speaking Actual Tests & Suggested Answers (Ebook)” which covers all the latest IELTS Speaking Actual Tests in 2017 with Band 9.0 Model Answers to boost your IELTS score.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!