IDIOMATIC EXPRESSIONS ACTING AS PREPOSITIONS
1. As opposed to: Used to make a contrast between two things
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Career & Sample Essay
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Education & Sample Essay
- IELTS Writing Test in the UK – April 2017 & Band 8.5 Model Essay
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Test in January 2017 & Model Answers
- IELTS Writing Practice Test 31 (Task 1 & 2) & Sample Answers
Example: This exercise develops suppleness as opposed to strength.
2. As regards : Alternative to Concerning
At the behest of somebody/something
Because somebody/something has ordered or requested it
Example: at the behest of the King
3. By means of: With the help of something
Example: The load was lifted by means of a crane.
4. By virtue of/In virtue of: By means of or because of something
Example: She got the job by virtue of her greater experience.
5. For the sake of (doing) something: In order to get or keep something
Example: The translation sacrifices naturalness for the sake of accuracy.
6. In accordance with something : According to a rule or the way that something should be done
Example: We acted in accordance with my parents’ wishes.
8. In addition (to somebody/something): Used when you want to mention another person/thing after something else
Example: In addition to these arrangements, extra ambulances will be on duty until midnight.
9. In case of something: If something happens
Example: In case of fire, ring the alarm bell.
10. In lieu of : Instead of
Example: They took cash in lieu of the prize they had won.
11. In order to do something : With the purpose or intention of doing or achieving something
Example: In order to get a complete picture, further information is needed.
12. In place of somebody/something : Instead of somebody/something
Example: We just had soup in place of a full meal.
13. In respect of something
Example: A writ was served on the firm in respect of their unpaid bill.
- In payment for something
Example: money received in respect of overtime
14. In spite of : See Despite
15. In view of something
Example: In view of the weather, the event will now be held indoors.
16. On account of something
Example: The marsh is an area of great scientific interest on account of its wild flowers.
17. On behalf of somebody
In order to help somebody
Example: They campaigned on behalf of asylum seekers.
18. On top of
- In addition to something
Example: He gets commission on top of his salary.
- In control of a situation
Example: Work tends to pile up if I don’t keep on top of it.
19. Thanks to : Used to say that something has happened because of somebody/something
Example: It was all a great success – thanks to a lot of hard work.
20. With a view to (doing) something
With the intention or hope of doing something
Example: He is painting the house with a view to selling it.
21. With regard to/In regard to: Concerning somebody/something
Example: The company’s position with regard to overtime is made clear in their contracts.
22. With respect to
Alternative to In respect of – Definition 1
Example: With respect to IELTS, I’m intent on re-sitting the IELTS test to hike up my score to Band 9.0
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2018 (September – December) & Sample Answers - October 20, 2018
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Art & Technology with Model Essay - May 30, 2018
- 15 IELTS Practice Tests (Book) - May 29, 2018