Altruism – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking & Writing
Altruism /ˈæltruɪzəm/ (n): the fact of caring about the needs and happiness of other people more than your own
Synonyms: benevolence, selflessness, magnanimity, kindness
Antonyms: egoism, self-centeredness
- It appears challenging to find anyone who would act out of pure altruism in today’s materialistic world.
- Altruism is arguably mistaken with stupidity because of its selfless actions and generosity toward other people, especially those who don’t deserve it.
Altruism in Writing & Speaking
What characteristics do you think true leaders should have?
Undoubtedly, it requires various factors to become an admirable leader who could win over his people’s minds and hearts. In my opinion, one who is able to actually think about others’ well-beings and act on it, instead of merely boasting about the possibilities of what he might do, is truly a one-of-a-kind leader. It is usually said that you can hardly find any politicians who would be motivated by pure altruism without any benefits coming along, however, I believe kindheartedness and sincerity somehow still exist, though scarcely.
- Undoubtedly (adv): used to emphasize that something exists or is definitely true
- Admirable (a): having qualities that you admire and respect
- Win someone over: to succeed in getting someone’s support or agreement, esp. when the person was previously opposed to you
- Boast (+about something) (v): to talk with too much pride about something that you have or can do
- Merely (adv): used meaning ‘only’ or ‘simply’ to emphasize a fact or something that you are saying
- One of a kind: unique
- Motivate (v): to cause someone to behave in a particular way
- Kindheartedness (n): the quality of being kind and generous
- Scarcely (adv): only just; almost not
Latest posts by Alessa (see all)
- State-Of-The-Art – Word Of The Day For IELTS - April 27, 2017
- Aggravate – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking & Writing - March 17, 2017
- Bring Something To Bear – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - March 17, 2017
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!