Connectors or linking words are the adverbs, which are the easiest way to connect the sentences or the ideas using one unique word. These connectors or the linking words make the sentence look appealing.
- Useful Structures to Help You Get Band 7.5+ in IELTS Writing
- IELTS Writing Practice Test 28 (Task 1 & 2) & Sample Answers – topic : temperatures
- Synonym & Antonym For Academic Words In IELTS Writing With Answers ( Part 2)
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in 2016 & Band 8.0 Topic: Consumer Goods-Advantage/Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Test (Task 1 & 2) in March 2017 & Sample Answers – topic : marriage and age
- 1 Functions of Connectors or Linking words
- 2 Linking words/ Connectors used in IELTS Writing
- 3 Tips to use Linking words or Connectors
Functions of Connectors or Linking words
There are a few reasons for using the linking words which describe the functions of the connectors or the linking words. Those functions are jotted down below:
- The connectors or linking words make your writing clear and appealing.
- Provide meaning to the sentence which is not understandable.
- The linking words or the connectors will make you understand how one sentence is related to the other.
- By using the linking words and connectors, you can add extra meaning to the sentence that you have written like main features, comparing and contrasting the data and so on.
- They help to know the purpose of the question and also give the appropriate answer to the question.
- They also help the test takers to give a suitable conclusion for the explanation given.
Linking words/ Connectors used in IELTS Writing
There are a lot of linking words or connectors used in different situations while explaining the essay based on the topic given. Some of the situations are mentioned below:
Giving your opinion
You can use the following linking words while presenting your opinion about the topic given:
- I think
- In my opinion
- I admit
- I believe
- In my view
There are a few situations where you can agree or disagree about the situation and in order to convey this you can use the below-linking words:
- I agree
- I concur
- I disagree
- I cannot accept
- I oppose the idea
While you want to give some examples, you will be using some kind of linking words in the sentence, to make the sentence look appealing the following are some linking words:
- For instance
- For example
- To cite an example
- One clear example
- In other words
- To illustrate
- To give an example
When you have to list points related to the question while answering you will require some linking words which are listed down below:
- Firstly, secondly, thirdly, lastly, etc.
- To begin with
- Last but not least.
Reasons and Causes
In order to state the reasons and causes while writing a particular paragraph you can use the following liking words:
- Due to
- Owing to
When you have to add extra information to the sentence that is written by you, you can use the following linking words:
- In addition
- As well as
- Not only…but also
Results and Consequences
If you have to explain about the consequences or the results of the topic, then you can use the below-linking words:
- As a result
- For this reason
To indicate time
If you have to indicate the time period that is used in your sentence, then you can use the following linking words:
Highlighting or Emphasising
When you have to highlight or emphasize a particular sentence you can use the following linking words.
- In particular
- Of course
When you have to frame a sentence contrasting to the actual sentence, you can use the following linking words:
- In spite of
- Another opinion could be
- On the other hand
- Even though
- By contrast
When you have to compare the 2 or more data you can use the following linking words for the same:
- In comparison to
- In the same way
When you have to conclude a paragraph or a sentence, you can use the following linking words, which are as follows:
- To conclude
- In conclusion
- To conclude with
- To sum up with
Tips to use Linking words or Connectors
There are a few tips that can be followed to use the linking words correctly in the sentence. Some of the tips are as below:
There are a lot of linking words which can be used in a sentence, so you need to be careful while using the linking words and use them accurately.
Do not overuse
The linking words can be used once or twice in the sentence, making overuse of the linking words in the sentence makes the sentence meaningless.
Mix it up
Try to use a lot of linking words in the paragraph, but make sure the sentence is meaningful while using these words. Using a single word many times in a paragraph doesn’t make any sense. So while using the linking words, use wisely.