Describe an important plant in your country
You should say:
- IELTS Speaking Actual Test in Egypt – May 2017 & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Part 1, 2, 3 Topic: Work/Job & Model Answers
- IETLS Speaking Part 2 in 2017 & Band 9 Sample – Topic: Future Plan
- IELTS Cue Card Sample: Describe an experience you spent time with a child
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes
- What it is
- What it looks like
- Where and how it is grown
- Why you like or dislike it
- And explain why it is important
I’m going to tell you about an extremely widespread plant in my country, the coca leaf. Although it’s controversial in other countries, as this plant is used to produce cocaine, it’s said to heal the symptoms of altitude sickness and give you a boost of energy while climbing the high Andes Mountains. Actually, it’s considered a sacred plant in my country due to its healing tendencies. Let me tell you more about it!
It’s a green color and not very large in size. I’d say each individual leaf is about 4-5 cm in length and 2-3 in width. This plant is native to western South America, meaning Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, and Ecuador, cultivated in both the lowlands and highlands of the Andes mountains. Moreover, people can also grow this plant in the comfort of their homes with seeds. It’s recommended to keep the plant inside in a warm, sunny environment.
I really cherish (appreciate) the coca leaf because I believe it carries medical value. I really believe that it cures the headaches, nausea, and light-headedness associated with altitude sickness. Furthermore, it’s what I turn to when I get any type of headache, not associated with altitude sickness and I feel that it’s a healthy alternative to drinking coffee. All in all, I feel it’s better to use something natural rather than a manufactured pill.
Coca is important to the people of my country for several reasons. Firstly, it is a cash crop. Secondly, this plant is regarded as a sacred plant, so they play an important role in our offering ceremonies to Mother Earth. Lastly, it cures a multitude of illnesses! As you can see, we love this plant.