Describe a gift you have received that was important to you – IELTS Cue Card
Describe a gift you have received that was important to you
You should say:
- Who gave it to you and for what occasion
- What it looks like and how you use it
- When you received it
- And explain why this gift is important to you
Giving and receiving gifts is a good way of strengthening our relationships. Whatever may be the achievement or milestone, a gift always means a lot to the recipient. It is an act of self-gratification. Here, I’d like to talk about a gift which I received on my graduation day. Graduation is a milestone in everyone’s life, and on that day, my father congratulated and gifted me a book named “DESIGNING YOUR LIFE: HOW TO BUILD A WELL-LIVED, JOYFUL LIFE”. From my childhood, my father urged me to read books, and now, during the start of my career, the book meant a lot to me. The book was a hard covered average size book. I began reading the book the day I received it. The book shows us how to build a life we aim at any age or stage. The book also gave an insight on how to generate a road map and plan our life goals. I found it to be one of the most enriching self books I’ve ever laid my hands on, and I was pretty impressed with my Dad’s choice. I was indeed the happiest person on the Earth, knowing that my father cared a lot about my success.
- Meaning: try earnestly or persistently to persuade someone to do something.
Eg: The government urged the citizens to stay at home due to the spread of the virus.
- Meaning: a significant stage or event in the development of something.
Eg: Keith has achieved a milestone by gaining 5 million followers on Instagram.
- Meaning: fill (someone) with the urge or ability to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
Eg: The movie inspired him to become a Police officer.
- Meaning: an accurate and deep understanding.
Eg: The curriculum has been designed to give the students an insight into the industrial fields.
- Meaning: achieve or complete successfully.
Eg: She has accomplished her master’s in psychology.
Also check :