How to Write a Letter Asking for Information?
In IELTS General Training, there are two different types of letters: formal and informal letters. If you find the question is a formal letter, you need to write in the professional or formal tone. One of these letters is a request for some information.
Before you start writing, you should know what type of letter it is, so that you can form sentences according to the required tone and style. If you are writing a letter to a manager, employer or any person with whom you are professionally related, then this letter is formal. However, when you are to write a letter to your friend with whom you are personally related, then this letter type is informal.
Formal Letter – Requesting Information
You have decided to study abroad for which you want to avail the facility of bank loan.
Write a letter to the bank manager requesting for information about the bank loan and in your letter, write the following:
- Why you are writing the letter
- What is the amount of bank loan you need
- When you are able to repay the loan
In this writing prompt, the examiner is asking you to write a letter to request the bank manager for some information. As the letter is to the bank manager, it is a formal letter.
Once you know what is asked of you, you should now structure your letter.
Steps to write a formal letter while requesting information:
- Identify letter – Formal
- Write salutation (Dear Sir/Mam,)
- Write purpose of letter – first bullet point
- Describe the second bullet point
- Describe the third bullet point
- Write finishing statements (I look forward to receiving your response at the earliest.)
- Sign-off (Yours faithfully,)
Useful vocabulary for formal letter while requesting information
- I would like to request
- I would like to suggest if you can
- I would be grateful if you can
- I would like you to kindly
- I am entitled to request that
- I was wondering if it would be possible for you to
Also check :