Idiom – A Lone Wolf
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
A Lone Wolf – Idiom of the Day
- A very independent and/or solitary person; one who enjoys spending time alone.
- A terrorist or criminal who acts alone rather than as part of an organisation.
The expression was first used in the early 20th century. It relates to the literal meaning of wolf, which is a dog-like type of animal. Wolves are famous for living in packs. Therefore, a lone wolf is one that, for whatever reason, has no pack.
- I was always a lone wolf in high school, which led me to be overly social in college.
- Sometimes the idiocy of humans makes me want to check out of society and be a lone wolf.
- We do not know who hacked the stock exchange yet. No organisation has stepped forward to take responsibility so far. Authorities are thinking a lone wolf may be behind this.
- The bombing at the mall couldn’t be successfully executed by a lone wolf. I’m sure someone was helping him, probably an insider.
- You can’t get a girlfriend with your lone wolf personality. You need to go out and meet people.
- I always thought Ricardo was a lone wolf until I saw him at work today. He was chatting up every one of his co-workers and they were all mesmerized by his charisma.