Word – Demure
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
Demure – Word of the day
[ adj] : reserved, modest, and shy (typically used of a woman).
: (of clothing) giving a modest appearance.
Dates back to the late 14th century. The word needs to be split into de + mure to trace the origins.
Mure – Can be linked to Anglo French, French and Latin origin. From French meur and Latin maturus
De- Origin debated between two french words – demore and de (bon) murs
Noun examples – demureness:
1. She attracted everyone with her demureness.
2. The camera stormed at the actress as she walked to the stage with demureness.
3. Her demureness radiated an aura that everyone thought she belonged to the Royals.
4. She complimented her demure white gown with a pearl necklace.
5. The demureness in her eyes is obvious.
6. She was rejected for the post of receptionist because of her demureness.
7. She was clever enough to conceal her deceit with demureness.
8. Out of demureness, she was sitting in a corner of the party hall.
Adjective examples – demure:
1. Her second child was too demure.
2. He bought a demure suit for the luncheon.
3. Those are demure colours which will give you an elegant look.
4. She was very beautiful but demure.
5. Initially he was demure but later spoke well and cracked the interview.
6. She was too demure to ask for another drink.
7. The air hostess was demure and all the passengers liked her.
8. The actress was offered a role in which she had to play demure.