Oblige – Word of the Day for IELTS Speaking & Writing
Oblige (Verb) /əˈblɑɪdʒ/
Meaning: To force somebody to do something | To do a service or favor for | To make indebted or grateful
Synonym: Compel, force, bind
- To oblige somebody to do something
- be delighted to, be glad to, be (only too) happy to + oblige
- duly/kindly oblige
For IELTS Writing:
- Parents are obliged by law to send their children to school.
For IELTS Speaking:
- Kate was obliged to read the book.
- I am obliged to you for your gracious hospitality