Awkward – Word Of The Day For IELTS
AWKWARD /ˈɔːkwəd/ Adj
- difficult to deal with and embarrassed
- not comfortable, relaxed or confident
Synonyms: difficult, inconvenient, embarrassing, impossible, tough, uncertain
- with verb: be, look, seem | make sth | become
- with adv: extremely, very | a bit, rather, slightly, somewhat | painfully
- with phrase: make things
- with prep: about
- There was an awkward silence.
- I felt awkward because because they obviously wanted to be alone.
- Don’t ask awkward questions.
- You’ve put me in awkward position.
- Have I come at an awkward time?
- I must have slept in an awkward position.
Try to use “Awkward” in your answer to the following cue card:
Describe a funny situation that made you laugh. You should say
– when this situation took place
– what happened
– how you reacted and why you found the situation funny
Leave your answer in the comment below to be corrected and scored by our IELTS experts.