Covering hundreds of collocations in typical contexts, this book is ideal for intermediate level students and above who want to score Band 7.0 or higher in IELTS Writing & Speaking.
If you want to increase your speaking score, you need to learn collocations because they will help you to speak and write English in a more natural and accurate way. People will probably understand what you mean if you talk about “making a crime” or say “there was very hard rain this morning”, but your language will sound unnatural and might perhaps confusing. Did you mean that there was a lot of rain or perhaps that there was a hailstorm?
Learning collocations will also help you to increase your range of English vocabulary. For example, you’ll find it easier to avoid words like very or nice or beautiful or get by choosing a word that fits the context better and has a more precise meaning. This is particularly useful if you are taking a written exam in English and want to make a good impression on the examiners.
This book collects the advanced collocations that you might want to use in your own written and spoken English. So, in the unit Health and medicine, for example, shake off a cold and respond well to treatment but not grumbling appendix, which is a strong collocation, but one which most of you will not feel the need for.
Secondly, it would be most useful for you if we focused on those collocations which are not immediately obvious. A pretty girl, a modern car or to buy a ticket are all collocations, but they are combinations which you can easily understand and produce yourself without any problems. So we deal here with less obvious word combinations, for instance, flatly contradict (not strongly contradict) and bitter enemies (not serious enemies).
- 60 easy-to-use two-page units: collocations are presented and explained on left-hand pages with a range of practice exercises on right-hand pages.
- Presents and explains over 1,500 word combinations in typical contexts using tables, charts, short texts and dialogues.
- Contains a comprehensive answer key and full index for easy reference.
- Includes tips on learning strategies and ways to avoid common mistakes.
- Informed by the Cambridge International Corpus to ensure that the most frequent and useful collocations are presented.
FREE DOWNLOAD HERE:
Latest posts by Huy Quoc (see all)
- English Collocations in Use – Intermediate (Ebook) - May 26, 2017
- Fall From Grace – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 7, 2017
- Stir Up A Hornet’s Nest – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 5, 2017
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!