Part 1 Topic: Transportation
1. How often do you take buses?
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 – Topic: Sports/ Physical Exercises
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Drinking Water with Sample Answers
- Band 9 Answers for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Film/ Movie/ Cinema
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 – Topic: Weather
Almost every day. Since my house is so far away from my university, it’s impossible for me to travel by motorbike. In addition, the air is heavily polluted by exhaust fumes and traffic jams always take place, especially during peak hours. Thus, I’d prefer to take the bus, to save time, save gasoline and causing less pollution.
Exhaust fumes (n) waste gasses or air expelled from an engine, turbine, or another machine in the course of its operation.
Traffic jam (n) a line or lines of stationary or very slow-moving traffic, caused by roadworks, an accident, or heavy congestion.
Peak hours/Rush hours (n) the busiest hours
2. What’s the most popular means of transportation in your hometown?
Without any doubt I would say motorbikes. Almost everyone travels by motorbike. The reason why motorbike is so popular I think is due to their reasonable price and convenience. They also extremely varied in terms of size, color and quality, thus a wide variety of choices is available for everyone.
Without any doubt/There is no doubt that (expression) a phrase expressing certainty or agreement; yes
A wide variety of (collocation) a number or range of things of the same general class that is distinct in character or quality.
3. Can you compare the advantages of planes and trains?
Planes and trains regularly depart and arrive on time. Plus, there are many convenient facilities catering particularly to certain groups of passengers. However, traveling by plane is clearly time-saving and enjoyable in terms of on-board services like meals or comfortable seats, while traveling by train offers you a chance to see the world outside, admire the views from their seats. It’s totally a great experience for most train-travelers.
On-board services (n) provided on or within a vehicle
Cater (v) provide with what is needed or required
4. Do you think people will drive more in the future?
If you’re talking about India, no, I don’t think it’s possible, even in the future. Cars and gasoline are becoming unaffordable for many people these days. Plus, the transport infrastructure in various regions in India is not appropriate for cars.
Transport infrastructure (n) the framework that supports our transport system
5. Is driving to work popular in your country?
Although cars themselves and gasoline are expensive, a lot of people prefer driving, possibly because driving is more comfortable in such weather, with such polluted and noisy surroundings.
6. Would you ride bikes to work in the future?
Definitely not. Riding a bike means you’re exposing yourself to the unpredictable weather and to air pollution. What is worse, I’m afraid the main streets or the highway are too dangerous for cyclists, as cars, motorbikes and buses will travel at a very high speed. Thus I’d rather ride a motorbike or take the bus instead.
Unpredictable weather (n) to not able to be predicted; changeable
7. Do you prefer public transport or private transport ?
I think I’d prefer public transport. It’s much more inexpensive and because it can contain a large number of people, it helps ease the intensity of traffic jams during peak hours and reduce the greenhouse gas emissions caused by vehicles. Private transportation is more costly in terms of fees, taxes and gasoline.
Intensity (n) of extreme force, degree, or strength
Greenhouse gas emissions (np) the emission into the earth’s atmosphere of any of various gases, especially carbon dioxide, that contribute to the greenhouse effect
8. What will become the most popular means of transport in your country?
I think buses will take the lead. You can travel the distance without much worries about ticket price or rainy weather outside. Also new buses now offer better services like comfortable seats for the elderly or good air conditioning systems.
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- 50 IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics 2020 with Model Answers - January 7, 2020
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!