Grammar for IELTS: Especially vs Specially Exercises
It isn’t uncommon to hear these two words used interchangeably, but when it comes down to dictionary definitions, what are the correct and incorrect ways of using both? Let’s check out this post to differentiate especially from specially to strengthen your IELTS vocabulary.
Pronunciation: \is-ˈpesh-lē, -ˈpe-shə-\
Meaning: Usually, especially means ‘particularly’ and specially means ‘for a particular purpose’.
- for a particular purpose
- more than usually
- I love Italian food, especially pasta, (not specially pasta)
- a car specially designed for cities
- for a special purpose
- to a special or unusual degree
- We specially designed the room for movie nights
- She doesn’t want to be treated specially.
Specially vs Especially
Specially is mostly used with an adjective made from a past participle: specially designed / trained / prepared etc.
It is not used at the beginning of a sentence or phrase: a specially-built stadium
- The stadium was built specially for the Olympic Games, (built for that purpose).
Especially is often used at the beginning of a phrase (often after a comma) or before a verb, but not at the beginning of a sentence:
- There’s been a lot of flooding, especially in the south.
- I especially liked the big balcony, (not Especially I liked….)
It’s also used before an adjective for emphasis: especially difficult / important, etc.:
- The chocolate cake was especially good.(very good, better than the other cakes)
1. Tick the correct sentence in each pair.
- a. Traffic congestion is a serious problem, specially in big cities,
b. Traffic congestion is a serious problem, especially in big cities.
- a. The police especially want to speak to anyone who witnessed the attack,
b. Especially, the police want to speak to anyone who witnessed the attack.
2. Are these sentences right or wrong? Correct any that are wrong.
- Is it just me or is It specially cold today?_____
- I don’t like driving at night specially if it’s raining_____
- Especially women should be careful when travelling alone______
- I drive a car which especially Is designed for disabled drivers______
- These exhibits were especially popular among children_______
- The police use specially-trained dogs to search for drags_______
- Especially the museum Is renowned for its collection of modern art_______
- Malaria is still a big problem, specially In parts of Africa_______