Describe A Popular Musical Instrument In Your Country – IELTS Cue Card
Describe A Popular Musical Instrument In Your Country
You should say:
- what musical instrument it is
- how it is played
- what sort of music it can play
and explain why it is so popular in your country.
Music is widely popular in Indian Culture. In the traditional world, Music is popularly known as “the food of the souls.”An integral part of the Indian classical music are the Indian classical music instruments. There are various instruments that are famous in our Indian musical culture. One of the most popular musical instruments is Sitar.
Sitar is the older version of Guitar and has a charm of its own.. To play the sitar , one should always be seated. It’s circular at the bottom and long elongated structure on the top. The musicians hold their sitar at an angle of 45° and they place it on their laps. They pluck the strings with a wire plectrum that is placed on the right forefinger. The left hand takes charge of the strings with light pressure, and pulls the strings sideways to make the pleasant tunes.
Sitar has mostly been used for playing traditional Bengali songs ,which are popularly known as Rabindra sangeet. It is also used to play jazz songs and Indian film music. Sitar made its appearance in the western culture too.
There are several reasons as to why it is popular in my country. One of the many reasons is, our Indian traditional culture is a sucker for good melodious songs and music. Like I mentioned before it is “the food of the souls” and sitar can play melodious tunes.
- Plectrum: A plectrum is a small flat tool used to pluck or strum a stringed instrument. For hand-held instruments such as guitars and mandolins, the plectrum is often called a pick and is a separate tool held in the player’s hand.
Eg: My brother gifted me a plectrum set on my birthday
- Integral: necessary to make a whole complete; essential or fundamental
Eg: Music is an integral part of my life
- Jazz Music: Jazz is a music genre that originated in the African-American communities of New Orleans, Louisiana, United States, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries
Eg: She is really into jazz music
- Traditional: existing in or as part of a tradition; long-established.
Eg: It is a tradition to participate in this occasion.
Also check :