Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something.
You should say:
What you bought
When you bought it
Where you bought it
And explain why you spent a lot of money to buy it
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2: Describe a present you received which was made by hand
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Band 9 Sample – Topic: Describe an important plant in your country
- Band 9 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 in 2019 – Topic: Describe an occasion that you wore formal clothes
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample: A time you invited family or friends to have dinner at home or restaurants
- Describe an occasion when you showed something new to younger people
Well, let me tell you about a time I spent a lot of money. It was Christmas time, but also it was time to get a gift for myself. After a long year of hard work, not to mention a grueling (very difficult) one, it was time to spoil myself a little bit.
I knew exactly what I wanted, which was the latest iPhone. I had had mine for about 3 years and I knew it was time for an upgrade. So, I carefully saved up money throughout the year so make sure I could provide this for myself at the end of the year.
The day before Christmas I went into the C Train that takes to downtown and from the train station, I walked to about 15 minutes and I arrived at the Apple Store. I knew it was going to be a lot of money but I was aware that those products last for a very long time, that’s why I decided to get it. After leaving the cashier counter and leaving most of my money, I rapidly (quickly) went back to the train station with my bag on my hands and headed home. When I arrived there, I was so excited to open it as test the new phone. In conclusion, it was worth it!
Why do young people tend to waste money?
People tend to waste more money because they like to flex (try to look cool) or pretend in front of their friends. They want to show that they can afford things that maybe the other can’t like the latest iPhone or expensive vacations. So, it’s all something superficial for young kids.
Why is it important for people to save some of their money?
Saving money is important because you don’t know how the future is going to be, maybe you will go through rough times where you wish you’ve saved all the money you spent on mundane objects. Still, I think it’s all about balance. Don’t fret (worry) over money too much, but also don’t spend it like a drunken sailor (like a crazy person).
Should children be taught how to manage money?
Children should be taught how to manage their money, it is very important that from the very beginning we all know how to give the best use of our money- it could be saving or investing. Instead of learning so many mathematical skills that we may never use in the school system, I think they should have more classes like this.
Who is better at saving more money, men or women?
I would say that it does not depend on the gender, it depends fully in the kind of education we received as kids and also in schools. They say that men can be impulsive, but I know a fair share of women who are the same way. On the other hand, perhaps women spend more on physical maintenance, but by the same token (in the same way), there are also many men who do so.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!