IELTS Cue Card for IELTS Speaking Part 2:
Describe a situation (or time) when you received some useful advice./Describe an important conversation that you had with someone.
Describe a situation (or time) when you received some useful advice
You should say:
what the situation was
who gave you the advice
what the advice was
and explain how this advice was useful to you.
Describe an important conversation that you had with someone.
You should say:
when you had this conversation
who you had the conversation with
what the conversation was about
and explain how this conversation influenced you.
BAND 9.0 SAMPLE ANSWER:
It was 5 years ago when I was in my junior year of college, I was struggling to find out what career would I follow in the future. As juniors, we had to choose courses related to our business concentration such as marketing, finance, human resources or management. At that moment, I was confused since I did not specifically like any of them.
As the deadline closely approached, I had to quickly make my decision. I decided to talk with my father, a wise man, about my problem. Different from many other parents who always make decisions for their children; my father guides me to the answer and lets me choose what I want.
He asked me what I would like my life to be like when I graduated, then analyzed my personality, discussed my strengths and weaknesses. He also showed me some career paths I could follow if I chose certain options.
After an hour of talking to him, everything had become clearer and I finally made my decision to follow a career in finance. Thanks to the conversation that day, I understood more about myself. Five years have passed, I am now a financial analyst for an entertainment company and I have never regretted my decision.
career: your profession, the type of employment you will likely have for a long period of your life or perhaps your entire life; “She was happy to have chosen a career that suited her personality perfectly.”
related to: having to do with, having an association with; in this context the student needs to take courses that are related to business; “She is tired of taking courses related to her major; now she just wants to take classes for fun.”
deadline: a time when something is due, when it has to be done; “I am hoping that we will finish this project by our deadline.”
closely approach: to get closer and closer to a certain point or destination in a short amount of time; when something is closely approaching it means you are very near to that time; “The baby’s due date is closely approaching and we still aren’t prepared.”
guides me: to guide is to help someone by showing them a way or by giving specific information or assistance without actually doing the task for them; “The teacher guides us in how to learn proper study techniques.”
analyzed my personality: to examine, assess or evaluate your personality from different points of view; you can take a personality test like the Meyers-Briggs to help see your patterns and propensities; “My mother is a psychologist and she loves to analyze people’s personalities to see what makes them tick.”
regret: to feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, especially a loss or missed opportunity). “He regretted not having attended college sooner.”
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!