IELTS Writing Task 2:
Today, the high sales of popular goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real need of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Identifying the essay type: Opinion Essay (Agree or Disagree)
Structuring the essay:
– Sentence 1: Introduce the given topic about the power of advertising
– Sentence 2: Clearly and directly state my point of view with one short and simple sentence (totally agree)
– Paragraph 1: Advertising helps promote the sales of products by providing necessary information to potential customers through the means of media with huge coverage.
– Paragraph 2: Sometimes influential advertising manipulates people into purchasing products that they do not really need.
Using images of celebrities to advertise a product line.
– Restate my opinion with a clear and direct sentence (totally agree)
Band 8.5 Sample Answer:
It is widely believed that advertising, not the real need of consumers, leads to the popularity of a product. Personally, I strongly agree with such a statement.
Firstly, advertising promotes the sales of products by providing necessary information for potential customers through the means of media, particularly TV, with huge coverage. As a matter of fact, when in possession of a TV or a computer connected to the Internet, everyone would see advertisements almost everywhere, which would help them to know more specifically about their desirable goods. Compared to the past when the power of advertising would not be enough to spark attention, people now have closer access to modern commodities. Without advertising, producers would not be able to reach out to their buyers owing to a struggle to introduce or popularize their new lines of product.
Secondly, I would say that under various circumstances, influential advertisements manipulate people into purchasing something they have no need for. It is common that images of sport or entertainment celebrities would be selected for commercial purposes, inflicting huge impacts on buyers, especially their fans. For example, if Ronaldo, who is an international famous football player, participated in a commercial advertisement on TV about
a new product line of men’s perfume, an enormous number of his loyal fans would buy those goods. This is because they want to be like their idols or simply it is a way to express their admiration and support.
In conclusion, I think advertising is factored in boosting the sales of a product in spite of the insignificance of social needs for it.
– Potential customers
– Huge coverage
– Have closer access to modern commodities
– Reach out to their buyers
– New lines of product
– Influential advertisements
– Sport or entertainment celebrities
– Commercial purposes
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep – Dec 2019) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!