The agree disagree are the most commonly asked essay questions in the IELTS examination. Even in this type of essays you are asked to give your opinions regarding you agree or disagree on the particular sentence that is given. Here also you are given a time of 40 minutes to complete the 250-word essay. Most of the students find it easy to write this essay because you have only agreed and disagree with the sentence given. You have to go with only one opinion and do not explain them both. Only a clear explanation may fetch you good marks.
Tips to write Agree Disagree Essays
There are few tips which help you to write about agree or disagree essays, which are as follows:
- When you get a particular sentence in the form of a question, it is actually favorable to either completely agree or completely disagree. You have to be only on one side and not on both.
- By doing this the essay will be more clear and structured and can be easily understood also by the examiner.
- You can show the other side of the statements if you want to, but make sure that you do it in a positive way and also show it only in one or two sentences.
- While explaining the essay, make sure that the explanation given doesn’t hurt the feelings of the other person. You have to give your opinion thinking about others too.
- While choosing which side to explain you need to be very confident and choose the side which has more of supporting points and to which you can give more examples. So that the answer that you write is extendable and also it can fetch you more marks.
- Also, make sure that the introduction that you are giving regarding the topic given is not too long, the introduction should only contain the paraphrasing of the question given.
- The explanation that you give regarding the topic should match with the introduction and the conclusion given regarding the topic.
- There will be two or three body paragraphs, make sure that the each paragraph will have an appropriate reason for the same.
- The body paragraphs should include the main features that have to be explained and also your overview and in-depth explanation about your opinion.
- As you are giving your opinion in the essay, you have to compulsorily write the conclusion. If you do not have time to complete the essay, make sure you at least write 2 or 3 sentences of conclusion, but the conclusion should be included.
Structure of Agree Disagree Essays
In all the sections of the IELTS, examination structure plays a very important role because it will be easy for the test taker to write the answer as well as the examiner will also find it easy to evaluate the answer. So here is the structure that you can follow while writing agrees disagree essay:
Paragraph 1: Introduction:
First of all, like any other section, the first sentence must be the rephrasing of the question that is given and in the second sentence, you can state your opinion regarding the topic, in the third sentence you can briefly explain what you are going to explain in the coming paragraphs.
Paragraph 2: Body paragraph:
In the second paragraph, the first sentence should be taking the main feature and introducing it, in the second sentence explaining the main feature in detail assuming that the examiner doesn’t know anything about the topic. In the third sentence, you can explain the main feature by giving the example which supports the sentence. In the last sentence, you can give the opposing point but redirect the sentence which seems to be positive.
Paragraph 3: Body paragraph:
In the third paragraph, you have to repeat the procedure the same as you have explained ion the second paragraph taking the second main feature. 2 main features are more than enough. Try to explain the main features in-depth so that the examiner knows that you have knowledge about the topic that is given in the IELTS examination.
Paragraph 4: Conclusion:
The last paragraph asks you to write a summary of the essay including the introduction and body paragraph. In the first sentence, you can sum up the body paragraphs and rephrase your opinion. In the second sentence, you can predict, what will be the recommendations given by the examiner and what you can improve in the essay.