IELTS Writing task 2 Direct Question Essay
In Task 2 of the IELTS Writing Test, you’ll have to write an essay of at least 250 words on a topic that’ll be given by the examiner. The marking will be done based on factors including grammar, vocabulary and the word count of the essay.
There’ll be different types of question that could be posed to you. In this post, we’ll discuss how to write a Direct Question essay.
Tips for Direct Question Essays
Some tips to keep in mind while practicing or writing an IELTS direct question essay:
- Spend some time pondering on the question and planning the answer before you actually start writing it.
- Follow the word count (no less than 250 words).
- Write in a formal tone.
- Follow a content structure, where you start with an introduction paragraph and end it with a conclusion paragraph, with the body paragraph between the two.
- Reply to the question, with your answer and its reasons in each of the body paragraph.
Essay Sample Questions
Different sample essay questions under different topics are given below
- “What is happiness? How can people achieve happiness? Can money buy happiness?”
- “The news plays an important role in most people’s lives. Why is the news so important to people? Why is so much news dedicated to the bad news? Should the news focus on the good instead?”
- “Is the information on the internet, reliable? What can be done to control the information?”
- “How is success measured? What makes a successful person? Do you think wealth is the best measure of success?”
- “It’s often said, ‘when in Rome, do as the Romans do’ Do you think that people should adapt to the culture of the country that they’re visiting or living in?”
- “In some parts of the world, it is becoming popular to research the history of one’s own family. Why might people want to do this? Is it a positive or negative development?”
Direct Question Essay Structure
There is a certain structure that you should follow while writing the essay
You should always start the essay with an introduction paragraph. In this paragraph, you can start by paraphrasing the question and give an introduction about what you’re going to discuss in the body paragraphs.
Body Paragraph 1
Here you can address the question and talk about the situation that the question asks for. And discuss the first question (if there are more than 1 question). Give examples too.
Body Paragraph 2
Answer and discuss the next question and details surrounding it. Give examples.
Conclude the whole essay by summarizing all the main points and concluding the essay content.
Also check :
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays