Opinion essays mainly focus on agreeing or disagreeing to a particular fact or information. It presents two opposite views and you have to develop your argument supporting one view (strictly one!).
You get 40 minutes to complete this task. You have to write at least 250 words on the topic given.
- 1 How to write an opinion essay in IELTS?
- 2 Instruction words
- 3 Tips to answer IELTS opinion essay questions
- 4 IELTS Opinion Essay Topics
- 5 FAQs
- 5.1 What is the structure for writing the introduction for an opinion essay ?
- 5.2 Is it mandatory to state my opinion in the introduction? Can I skip it and introduce my opinion in the body paragraphs?
- 5.3 What are the words that I can use to state my opinion?
- 5.4 Can I underline the important sentences, to attract examiner’s attention?
- 5.5 Is it mandatory to write the essay in first person?
- 5.6 Related Posts:
How to write an opinion essay in IELTS?
There is a certain structure that you can follow, in order to answer this particular task. You can follow the structure given below:
The introduction part must be short and should be easily understood by the reader. In the introduction, you should write not more than three sentences. In the first sentence, you can paraphrase the topic or the question given and in the second sentence, you can give your opinion on the topic or the question. The third sentence will be the thesis statement, which will outline what is going to be explained in the body paragraphs. Thus, your first paragraph would be perfectly framed.
While explaining the topics, you can have two or three separate body paragraphs, wherein you can take an idea and explain it using examples or some supporting details. Make sure you make use of appropriate vocabulary and grammar while explaining an idea in the body paragraphs.
As this is an opinion essay, the conclusion is very important. It is nothing but summing up everything that you have explained in the previous paragraphs and also reiterating your opinion on the topic.
A set of words called ‘instructions words’ will help you identify, opinion essays. The list of ‘instruction words’ are given below:
- To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Do you think..?
- In your opinion, what is…?
- Do you agree or disagree?
- What is your opinion?
Tips to answer IELTS opinion essay questions
- As there should be at least two body paragraphs in the ielts opinion essay, you can explain the reason for your opinion in the two paragraphs.
- Instead of using a list of ideas to explain the topic, you can use a single main idea that supports the topic given.
- Before beginning to write the opinion essay, you should give yourself at least 5 minutes to form a mind map of your ideas.
- You are suggested to give your opinion, not only in the conclusion but throughout the essay.
- You have to make sure that the essay written is complete and includes all the aspects that are to be present. This is possible when you write the essay according to the structure that is given.
- You have to stick to one point of view. Do not agree and disagree simultaneously. It will definitely lead to loss of marks.
- The introduction part should be short and not more than 55 words. The body paragraph may be up to 100 words each and the conclusion should be shorter than the introduction.
- Explain all the ideas in the body paragraph itself. Do not introduce new ideas in the conclusion.
- As you will have only 40 minutes to write an essay, you should aim for a word count of not more than 280 words.
IELTS Opinion Essay Topics
There are few opinion essay ielts topics that are listed down below, which you can practice. These opinion essay questions may appear in the actual examination:
- In the future, it seems more difficult to live on Earth. Some people think more money should be spent on researching another planet to live, such as Mars. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Many people say that the only way to guarantee a good job is to complete a course in university education. Others claim that it is better to start work after school and gain experience in the world of work. How far do you agree or disagree with the above views?
- Although more and more people read the news on the internet, newspapers will remain the most important source of news for the majority of people. Do you agree or disagree?
- Students in schools and universities learn more from their teachers than through other means such as the Internet, libraries, and TV. To what extent you agree or disagree?
- Nowadays university education is very expensive. Some people say that universities should reduce their fees, especially for the less fortunate students or for those coming from rural areas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Some people think that governments must insist on preserving the traditional appearance of old buildings undergoing renovation or redevelopment. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- Some people believe that international trade and communication with other countries is a positive trend, while others think it is harmful to nations and they might lose their identities. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your own opinion and relevant examples.
- Many people believe that schools should teach children to become good citizens and workers rather than independent individuals. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion and relevant examples.
- People should follow the customs and traditions when they start to live in a new country. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- It is impossible to help all people in the world, so governments should only focus on people in their own countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
What is the structure for writing the introduction for an opinion essay ?
The Introduction paragraph should contain details as follows:
First sentence – Paraphrase the question given
Second sentence – Give your opinion
Third sentence – Thesis statement
Is it mandatory to state my opinion in the introduction? Can I skip it and introduce my opinion in the body paragraphs?
Yes. It is mandatory to state your opinion in the introduction part.
What are the words that I can use to state my opinion?
Words like ” I believe”, “In my opinion”, “I think” may be used.
Can I underline the important sentences, to attract examiner’s attention?
No. You cannot underline. There is no need for it.
Is it mandatory to write the essay in first person?