IELTS Opinion Essay Topics/Questions 2022
- 1 IELTS Opinion Essay Topics
- 2 How to write an opinion essay in IELTS?
- 3 IELTS Opinion Essay Sample
- 3.1 Sample Question 1
- 3.2 Outline
- 3.3 Sample Answer
- 3.4 Sample Question 2
- 3.5 Outline
- 3.6 Sample Answer
- 3.7 Sample Question 3
- 3.8 Outline
- 3.9 Sample Answer
- 4 Tips to answer IELTS opinion essay questions
Opinion essays mainly focus on agreeing or disagreeing to a particular fact or information. It presents two opposite views and you have to develop your argument supporting one view (strictly one!).
You get 40 minutes to complete this task. You have to write at least 250 words on the topic given.
IELTS Opinion Essay Topics
There are few IELTS opinion essay topics that are listed down below, which you can practice. These opinion essay questions may appear in the actual examination.
- In the future, it seems more difficult to live on Earth. Some people think more money should be spent on researching another planet to live, such as Mars. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Many people say that the only way to guarantee a good job is to complete a course in university education. Others claim that it is better to start work after school and gain experience in the world of work. How far do you agree or disagree with the above views?
- Although more and more people read the news on the internet, newspapers will remain the most important source of news for the majority of people. Do you agree or disagree?
- Students in schools and universities learn more from their teachers than through other means such as the Internet, libraries, and TV. To what extent you agree or disagree?
- Nowadays university education is very expensive. Some people say that universities should reduce their fees, especially for the less fortunate students or for those coming from rural areas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Some people think that governments must insist on preserving the traditional appearance of old buildings undergoing renovation or redevelopment. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- Some people believe that international trade and communication with other countries is a positive trend, while others think it is harmful to nations and they might lose their identities. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your own opinion and relevant examples.
- Many people believe that schools should teach children to become good citizens and workers rather than independent individuals. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion and relevant examples.
- People should follow the customs and traditions when they start to live in a new country. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- It is impossible to help all people in the world, so governments should only focus on people in their own countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE. Do you agree or disagree that out of the country’s health budget, a large proportion should be diverted from treatment to spending on health and education and preventive measures?
How to write an opinion essay in IELTS?
There is a certain structure that you can follow, in order to answer this particular task. You can follow the structure given below:
The introduction part must be short and should be easily understood by the reader. In the introduction, you should write not more than three sentences. In the first sentence, you can paraphrase the topic or the question given, and in the second sentence, you can give your opinion on the topic or the question. The third sentence will be the thesis statement, which will outline what is going to be explained in the body paragraphs. Thus, your first paragraph would be perfectly framed. You can also check tips to write an effective Introduction which will help you in writing great opinion essay
While explaining the topics, you can have two or three separate body paragraphs, wherein you can take an idea and explain it using examples or some supporting details. Make sure you make use of appropriate vocabulary and grammar while explaining an idea in the body paragraphs.
As this is an opinion essay, the conclusion is very important. It is nothing but summing up everything that you have explained in the previous paragraphs and also reiterating your opinion on the topic.
A set of words called ‘instructions words’ will help you identify, opinion essays. The list of ‘instruction words’ are given below:
- To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Do you think..?
- In your opinion, what is…?
- Do you agree or disagree?
- What is your opinion?
IELTS Opinion Essay Sample
Given below is an example of an IELTS Writing task 2 opinion essay. Let’s understand how to frame the essay from the ideas we have.
Sample Question 1
In the future, nobody will buy printed newspapers or books because they will be able to read everything they want online without paying. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement.
Given below is a brief outline of what to write in the essay after identifying the essay type.
- Paraphrase the topic of the essay using synonyms for the words used in the topic statement.
- Clearly state the view on the topic.
Body Paragraph 1
- Technological improvements have increased the level of ease and convenience to a point where people can access news and information at the click of a button. This has led to print media becoming outdated.
Body Paragraph 2
- The advent of news websites and sites that freely distribute information and print media in a digital form has led to a trend of availing such services and content without paying.
- Summarize the essay and re-state the opinion on the topic.
The 21st century is an era of technological advancements, and human civilization has been progressing in the spheres of technology and internet-based services at a rapid pace. Presently, newspapers, books, journals, magazines, etc. are still actively used by a section of the global population. However, with the advent of news sites and the availability of books, magazines and other forms of media online, totally free of cost, many believe that such forms of media are on their way to becoming obsolete. I completely agree with this statement, and in the following paragraphs, I will justify my views with relevant instances.
It is a well-known fact that in this day and age, if an individual wants to read a book or just go over the news of the day, the first step that they take is to search the internet. Devices such as smartphones and tablets have improved the time efficiency of searching for information online to such an extent that a person can access their preferred form of media in the comfort of their homes in a matter of minutes. Consequently, people have started to relinquish their preference for print media due to the presence of much more convenient alternatives.
Additionally, the various forms of print media enjoyed by people can often be availed free of charge on several websites. For instance, most news organizations publish their daily news on their official website, which can be accessed by anyone. Also, there are numerous sites and databases that provide popular books, journals and magazines in a digital form to the public for a nominal subscription fee or sometimes even for free, leading to a majority of readers of such forms of media shifting away from buying hard copies.
Nevertheless, there is still a sizeable chunk of the population that enjoys the conventional forms of print media. That being said, with the cost-effective nature of making such information and content available online, organizations will soon completely shift to internet-based services.
In conclusion, I would like to say that people always prefer the more comfortable alternative that is available. Therefore, it can be safely said that in the coming years, there will be a complete shift from traditional print media to online media services and products.
Sample Question 2
Some people say that international sporting events contribute greatly to peace and stability in the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Paraphrase the topic sentence using synonyms.
- Mention the view on the topic.
- International sports tournaments are events where teams and the general public of various countries come together and collectively participate in the event.
- Sports events, especially cricket and football help distract the minds of the citizens from the ongoing difficulties in their country and enjoy these events.
- Summarize the essay and state the final view.
Sports has always been a magnificent platform for the finest talents of a country to showcase their skills and represent their nation. At the same time, sports is also one of the few occasions where every citizen of the country unites in support of their favourite teams. It is considered by many that sports are a great approach to maintain stability among countries. This essay will elaborate on the given topic and justify why sports can successfully bring and preserve global peace.
One of the greatest characteristics of any popular sporting event is that supporters of every team involved in the tournament almost always attend the matches that are organized in their cities. Some veteran fans even travel to different parts of the country to witness a match between their favourite teams. These events also unite the populace of a nation as every patriotic individual prays for the success of their national team. For instance, the entire nation wishes for the victory of their national team in the Olympic Games as winning an Olympic Medal is one of the most prestigious honours that can be bestowed upon a country.
It is a well-known fact that the people of a country collectively face several challenges on a day-to-day basis. These issues can be caused by numerous factors and are the typical difficulties that ordinary citizens have to overcome. Sports help people enjoy a few moments of excitement and take a break from the monotony of everyday life.
That being said, sometimes the passion of overenthusiastic sports fans ends up leading to harmful and conflicting situations among communities. Nevertheless, the overall impact of sports on our lives is undoubtedly positive.
Finally, sports are one of the aspects of human life that bind a whole community together. This is enough evidence to understand that sports help maintain peace and stability in a nation.
Sample Question 3
Our personalities are predetermined as a result of our genes before we are born and there is nothing that can be done to change our character traits. To what extent do you agree?
- Paraphrase the topic and mention the view.
- Genetics are only a part of the entire list of factors that affect a person’s personality.
- One of the most important influences on an individual’s personality is their childhood and upbringing.
- Summarize the essay and mention the final view in brief.
In the entire lifetime of an individual, they go through various stages of growth and development in terms of their personality. Our younger selves tend to be more naive and reckless, whereas our disposition during middle age is more stable and centred. Such alterations are quite typical and every human being goes through these stages of development. It is believed by many that our personality is entirely dependent on our genes. The following paragraphs will explore the different aspects of personality and justify why genetics are not the only factor influencing our personality.
An individual has countless experiences in their life from childhood to adulthood and finally until death. Every one of these experiences has an impact on a person’s mind, no matter how giant or small. The kind of people present in a person’s immediate surroundings also has a huge influence on their nature and characteristics. Thus, it can be safely surmised that a person’s genes are not the only contributing factor when it comes to personality.
One of the most significant influences on our personality is our childhood experiences and the teachings of our parents. Children are always known to follow in the footsteps of their parents. Thus, if the parents of a child are successful in teaching their children the right values and morals, they are bound to grow into responsible and decent individuals.
It is true that the personality traits of an individual are determined by the features of their parents. Nevertheless, these traits can be altered over the course of many years and different experiences.
In conclusion, genetics affect our personalities in a trivial manner as compared to all the other aspects of our temperament. That being said, our life experiences and learnings are the consequential factors in developing our character.
Tips to answer IELTS opinion essay questions
- As there should be at least two body paragraphs in the IELTS opinion essay, you can explain the reason for your opinion in the two paragraphs.
- Instead of using a list of ideas to explain the topic, you can use a single main idea that supports the topic given.
- Before beginning to write the opinion essay, you should give yourself at least 5 minutes to form a mind map of your ideas.
- You are suggested to give your opinion, not only in the conclusion but throughout the essay.
- You have to make sure that the essay written is complete and includes all the aspects that are to be present. This is possible when you write the essay according to the structure that is given.
- You have to stick to one point of view. Do not agree and disagree simultaneously. It will definitely lead to loss of marks.
- The introduction part should be short and not more than 55 words. The body paragraph may be up to 100 words each and the conclusion should be shorter than the introduction.
- Explain all the ideas in the body paragraph itself. Do not introduce new ideas in the conclusion.
- As you will have only 40 minutes to write an essay, you should aim for a word count of not more than 280 words.
Here are the 10 examples for the Opinion Essay Topics IELTS:
The above examples give you a glimpse of the IELTS opinion essay topics with answers
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the structure for writing the introduction for an opinion essay?
Is it mandatory to state my opinion in the introduction? Can I skip it and introduce my opinion in the body paragraphs?
What are the words that I can use to state my opinion?
Can I underline the important sentences, to attract examiner’s attention?
Is it mandatory to write the essay in first person?