Opinion essays mainly describe, either agreeing or disagreeing on a particular fact or information. It can also be partially agreeing on the same. This basically asks you to give your opinion about the given topic or the information or the fact that is already given. It gives two opposite views and asks you to give your opinion on these views.
There are 40 minutes to complete this task. You have to at least write 250 words based on the topic given.
Structure to answer this task
There is a certain structure that you can follow, in order to answer this particular task. You can follow the structure given below:
The introduction part must be short and understandable by the reader. In the introduction you will write not more than two sentences. In the first sentence, you can make the paraphrasing of the topic or the question given and in the second sentence, you can give your opinion based on the topic or the question. Thus, your first paragraph would be perfectly framed.
While explaining the topics, you can have two or three separate body paragraphs, wherein you can take an idea and explain it using examples or some supporting details. Make sure you make the use of the vocabulary and the grammar appropriately while explaining the idea in the body paragraphs.
As this one is an opinion essay, giving a conclusion for whatever you have explained is very important. Giving a conclusion is nothing but summing up everything that you have explained in the previous paragraphs and also restating your opinion on the topic.
While writing an opinion essay there is something called instructions words that you need to keep in mind. Below is the list of some instruction words which you can keep in mind while writing the opinion essays.
- To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Do you think..?
- In your opinion, what is…?
- Do you agree or disagree?
- What is your opinion?
Tips to write opinion essays
- As there should be at least two body paragraphs in the opinion essay, you can explain the reason for each of the opinions in each of the paragraphs.
- Instead of using the list of ideas to explain the topic, you can use a single main idea that supports the topic given appropriately.
- Before actually starting to write the opinion essay, you should give yourself at least 5 minutes to present your ideas and prepare well.
- You are suggested to give your opinion throughout the essay and not only while giving the conclusion.
- You have to make sure that the answer is written or the essay is written is complete and should include all the aspects that should be present. This is possible when you write the essay accordion g to the structure that is given.
- You have to stick on only one point of view, and do not agree and disagree about the topic at the same time. As it may confuse the examiner and he may end up giving you less band score.
- The introduction part should be short and not more than 55 words. The body paragraph may be up to 100 words each and the conclusion should be again shorter than the introduction.
- Whatever ideas you have explain it in the body paragraph itself, again do not bring new ideas in the conclusion paragraph.
- As you will have only 40 minutes to write an essay, your aim for the word count should be no more than 280 words, as you will have a lack of time to complete it.
IELTS Opinion Essay Topics
There are few opinion essay topics which are listed down below, which you can practice for IELTS examination and also may appear in the IELTS examination:
- In the future, it seems more difficult to live on the Earth. Some people think more money should be spent on researching another planet to live, such as Mars. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Many people say that the only way to guarantee a good job is to complete a course in university education. Others claim that it is better to start work after school and gain experience in the world of work. How far do you agree or disagree with the above views?
- Although more and more people read the news on the internet, newspapers will remain the most important source of news for the majority of people. Do you agree or disagree?
- Students in schools and universities learn more from their teachers than through other means such as the Internet, libraries, and TV. To what extent you agree or disagree?
- Nowadays university education is very expensive. Some people say that universities should reduce their fees, especially for the less fortunate students or those coming from rural areas. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Some people think that governments must insist on preserving the traditional appearance of old buildings undergoing renovation or redevelopment. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- Some people believe that international trade and communication with other countries is a positive trend, while others think it is harmful to nations and they might lose their identities. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your own opinion and relevant examples.
- Many people believe that schools should teach children to become good citizens and workers rather than independent individuals. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion and relevant examples.
- People should follow the customs and traditions when people start to live in a new country. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- It is impossible to help all people in the world, so governments should only focus on people in their own countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?