Advantage and Disadvantage Essays- Samples, Model, Essay and Topics
- 1 Tips for Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- 2 Advantages and Disadvantages essay structure:
- 3 Bonus advantage/disadvantage essay topics:
- 4 FAQs
- 4.1 What is an advantage/disadvantage essay? How do you identify that the essay falls under this category?
- 4.2 What is the structure of an advantage/disadvantage essay?
- 4.3 Is it mandatory to put advantages and disadvantages separately in two paragraphs or can I club them?
- 4.4 In case of questions where advantages outweigh disadvantages, I might have to write disadvantages first? Will it affect my score?
- 4.5 In the conclusion part of the advantage/disadvantage essay, is it ok to support one side?
- 4.6 Related Posts:
In advantage and disadvantage essays, you will be asked to write the benefits and drawbacks of the topic given. You have to be careful that you write the advantages and disadvantages of the topic given and not your opinion about the topic. While explaining these kinds of essays, you can divide the content into 2 paragraphs. Paragraph 1 for Positive points and Paragraph 2 for negative points.
Tips for Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
Given below are some points which you can refer to:
- When the topic statement is given, you need to spend at least 5-10 minutes in understanding the benefits and the drawbacks related to the topic.
- Make sure that you have relevant points, supporting the topic. Do not get deviated from the topic.
- Make sure whatever you write is structured. Put the advantages of the topic in one paragraph and the disadvantages in a separate paragraph.
Advantages and Disadvantages essay structure:
The main issue of Advantages and Disadvantages essay is that topics are vast and each topic requires a specific structure to be followed. If the test taker does not practice each structure carefully then he/she may end up losing marks. Below are a few links of topics and answers of Advantage and Disadvantage essays which will help you to practice and score a high band in the IELTS test.
- IELTS Writing Actual Test & Band 8.0 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay – Topic: Travel
- IELTS Writing Actual Test In 2016 & Band 8.0 Sample Advantage/Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Advantage/Disadvantage Essay Of Band 8.5 – Topic: Traffic & Accommodation
- IELTS Writing Actual Test & Band 9.0 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay – Topic: Gap Year
- IELTS Writing Actual Test In April 2016 – Band 8.5 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic & Band 8.5 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay Of Band 8.0– Topic: Youth & Community
- IELTS Writing Actual Test In March 2016 & Band 8.0 Advantage & Disadvantage Samples
- Advantage/Disadvantage Essay – Topic: Students
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic in 2018 – advantages and disadvantages of modern Technology with Model Essay
Bonus advantage/disadvantage essay topics:
- Is it good for children to start using computers from an early age and spend long hours on them? Discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
- What are the pros and cons for children of watching television? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant example from your knowledge or experience.
- The internet has brought about many changes into our day to day life. Nowadays we are doing things such as mailing, contacting, banking and communication much faster. Do these developments have more advantages than disadvantages?
- The development of tourism contributed to English becoming the most prominent language in the world. Some people think this will lead to English becoming the only language to be spoken globally. What are the advantages and disadvantages to having one language in the world?
- At the present time, the population of some countries includes a relatively large number of young adults, compared with the number of older people. Do the advantages of this situation outweigh the disadvantages?
- These days, many people have their own computer and telephone, so it is quite easy for them to do their job at home. Does working at home have more advantages or more disadvantages?
- A lot of places in the world rely on tourism as a main source of income. Unfortunately, tourism can also be a source of problems if it is not managed correctly. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of tourism in the modern world. Do you think that benefits of tourism outweigh its drawbacks?
- Tests and examinations are a central feature of school systems in many countries. Do you think the educational benefits of testing outweigh any disadvantages. Give reasons for your answer.
- What do you think are the strengths and weakness of the education system in your country. Use your own experience to support your idea.
- In the last decade, there has been a great increase in the number and variety of online courses available to adults. This has been welcomed as a great opportunity by many students, however, other students see these courses as less effective than classroom teaching. What are the advantages and disadvantages of studying an online course?
- Some parents buy their children a large number of toys to play with. What are the advantages and disadvantages for the child of having a large number of toys?
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of studying abroad/working abroad for a period of time.
- In some countries, more and more adults are living with their parents after graduating from college , University or even after finding a job. Do the advantages of this outweigh disadvantages?
- Every year large numbers of people migrate from one country to another for different reasons. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of migration for the individual and for society as a whole.
- Nowadays online shopping becomes more popular than in-store shopping. Is it a positive or a negative development? Give your reasons and examples.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of living in a large city.
- Some companies and organizations require their employees to wear uniform. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing uniform?
What is an advantage/disadvantage essay? How do you identify that the essay falls under this category?
They are essays which ask you to describe the advantages and disadvantages of a given topic. The words “advantages and disadvantages” will be a specifically mentioned in the question. Sometimes they may be synonyms such as “benefits and drawbacks”.
What is the structure of an advantage/disadvantage essay?
Body paragraph 1 – Advantages
Body paragraph 2 – Disadvantages
Is it mandatory to put advantages and disadvantages separately in two paragraphs or can I club them?
No. You cannot club them. You have to follow the structure. The examiner will look for the logical organisation of the paragraphs.
In case of questions where advantages outweigh disadvantages, I might have to write disadvantages first? Will it affect my score?
You can choose any order you want. But make sure you don’t write both (advantages and disadvantages) in one paragraph.
In the conclusion part of the advantage/disadvantage essay, is it ok to support one side?
Yes, but it is not necessary.