IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic
Some people think that young people should be required to do unpaid work helping people in the community. Are disadvantages of this requirement greater than the benefits for the community and individuals?
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (December, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (November, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Answers
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 – Topic: Health (October, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
- AcademicIELTS Writing Task 2 Topic (in September, 2015) & Band 9.0 Model Essay
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic – Healthy Lifestyle (in September, 2015) & Band 9.0 Sample
Band 8.0 Sample Essay
Every year when summer comes around, volunteer students in their conspicuous blue shirts are ubiquitous. They can be spotted in the streets delivering free food to the less fortunate, at waiting tables in front of the school gates providing information to students or on the beach collecting trash under the sizzling weather. However, it still remains a topic of debate whether these activities are wholly beneficial for students.
On the one side of the argument, there are a number of benefits for students who are involved in community service. In the technologically-advanced world, it is a common problem that people show scant concern about others’ affairs. This activities certainly help them gain insight into the lives of the underprivileged, realise how fortunate they are and therefore inspire in them higher sense of responsibility with the community. Besides, participating in volunteer programs is also a very effective way for students to combat stress and hone various crucial life skills such as communication, teamwork or time-management.
Despite the multiple merits of volunteer activities, there are still a lot of raised eyebrows. Firstly, making unpaid work obligatory to all students without any exception will certainly cause resentment among themselves or their families. In addition, students’ studies at school can be sabotaged as they are always short of time to complete their homework or revise their lessons. The other more profound consequence that can ensue from constant poor academic performance is the bleak career prospects that the future hold for them.
To conclude, the importance of community service should be fully realised, however, it should not be made compulsory for all students.
- Show scant concern about…: Pay no interest to…
- The underprivileged: Those who don’t have much money, possessions…
- The sizzling weather: extremely hot weather.
- Inspire in them higher sense of responsibility: to make them become more responsible.
- Hone various crucial life skills: improve those skills.
- Multiple merits: a lot of benefits.
- There are still a lot of raised eyebrows: There are more things to be considered.
- To be short of time: do not have enough time.
- To cause resentment: cause anger, disagreement.
- To sabotage (v.) to damage, destroy.
- Ensue (v.) happen.
- Bleak career prospects: low chance of getting a good job.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!