IELTS Writing Task 2 Advantage/Disadvantage Essay Topic: People should be required to do unpaid work helping people in the community
IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic
Some people think that young people should be required to do unpaid work helping people in the community. Are disadvantages of this requirement greater than the benefits for the community and individuals? OR
It is suggested that all the young adults should undertake a period of unpaid work helping people in the community. Does it bring more benefits or drawbacks to the community and the young people?
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
Band 8.0 Sample Essay
Every year when summer comes around, volunteer students in their conspicuous blue shirts are ubiquitous. They can be spotted in the streets, delivering free food to the less fortunate, at waiting tables in front of the school gates providing information to students, or on the beach collecting trash under the sizzling weather. However, it still remains a topic of debate whether these activities are wholly beneficial for students.
On one side of the argument, there are a number of benefits for students who are involved in community service. In the technologically-advanced world, it is a common problem that people show scant concern about others’ affairs. These activities certainly help them gain insight into the lives of the underprivileged, realise how fortunate they are, and therefore inspire in them a higher sense of responsibility with the community. Besides, participating in volunteer programs is also a very effective way for students to combat stress and hone various crucial life skills such as communication, teamwork, or time-management.
Despite the multiple merits of volunteer activities, there are still a lot of raised eyebrows. Firstly, making unpaid work obligatory to all students without any exception will certainly cause resentment among themselves or their families. In addition, students’ studies at school can be sabotaged as they are always short of time to complete their homework or revise their lessons. The other, more profound consequence that can ensue from the constant poor academic performance is the bleak career prospects that the future hold for them.
To conclude, the importance of community service should be fully realised; however, it should not be made compulsory for all students.
Useful Expressions :
- Show scant concern about…: Pay no interest to…
- The underprivileged: Those who don’t have much money, possessions…
- The sizzling weather: extremely hot weather.
- Inspire in them higher sense of responsibility: to make them become more responsible.
- Hone various crucial life skills: improve those skills.
- Multiple merits: a lot of benefits.
- There are still a lot of raised eyebrows: There are more things to be considered.
- To be short of time: do not have enough time.
- To cause resentment: cause anger, disagreement.
- To sabotage (v.) to damage, destroy.
- Ensue (v.) happen.
- Bleak career prospects: low chance of getting a good job.
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Essay Topics
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- IELTS advantage and disadvantage essays
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Direct question essay
- Band 9 essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors