Recent IELTS Essay Topics, and Latest Questions 2022
- 1 IELTS Essay Topics Based on Essay Types
- 1.1 1. Opinion Essay
- 1.2 2. Discussion Essay
- 1.3 3. Advantage or Disadvantage Essay
- 1.4 4. Solution Essay
- 1.5 5. Direct Question Essay
- 2 Other Bonus IELTS Essay Topics
- 2.1 Discussions (Discursive Essay – Discuss both views) writing task 2 topics
- 2.2 Opinion (Argumentative Essay – Agree or Disagree) writing task 2 topics
- 2.3 Advantages & Disadvantages writing task 2 topics
- 2.4 Problems/Causes & Solutions writing task 2 topics
- 2.5 Two-part Questions writing task 2 topics
The IELTS Writing tests consist of task 1 and task 2, you’ll be given an hour to complete it. For task 1, you’ll be required to write a minimum of 150 words while for task 2 a minimum of 250 words. And since task 2 has a higher score weightage compared to task 1, it’ll be best not to spend more than 20 minutes on the latter so that you can have enough time in hand to complete task 2. The marking for the writing tests will be done on factors including vocabulary, grammar, number of words used, and so on.
For writing task 2, the examiner will give you a topic for which you’ll have to write an essay about, of at least 250 words. So to help you prepare for this, below are the types of essays along with some of the IELTS writing task 2 essay topics you could use to practise on.
IELTS Essay Topics Based on Essay Types
There are different types of essays that could be given to you. IELTS essay writing ideas, and possible IELTS essay topics with sample answers for each type are mentioned below.
1. Opinion Essay
An opinion essay is an essay in which you have to explain the topic based on the opinion that you have regarding that topic. They are also called Agree/disagree essays or argumentative essays. Here are links of some latest opinion essay topics with answers.
- News Media
- Environmental Protection
- Travel and tourism
- TV or Radio
- Communication technology
- Living in Campus
- Illness and Disease
- Mobile phone
- Architecture and History
- Economic Development
- Food and Transport
- Television and Children
Most societies have homeless people. Some people think that the best way to help them is to give them money. To what extent do you agree?
- Paraphrase the topic of the essay and mention the view.
- The extent of problems faced by homeless people cannot be solved only by providing financial assistance.
- Due to the unstable situation of homeless people, they might end up misusing the cash meant for their benefit or they might end up losing it.
- Summarize the essay and state the final view on the topic
The 21st century is marked by the technological, social, and economic advancement of human civilization. However, around most countries, especially third-world nations, the problem of vagrants is still a concerning issue. There are many suggestions when it comes to the upliftment of the homeless, and one of the most popular of these is financial assistance. Although monetary aid can help the destitute in several ways, it does not improve their condition substantially. In the following paragraphs, I will explore the topic in-depth and justify my views on the same.
The predicament faced by the homeless is much more complex than meets the eye. Most of the people who cannot afford the basic necessities of life are facing such hardships due to generational poverty or lack of proper education and thereby limited employment prospects. Thus, mere financial assistance in the form of cash is insufficient in ameliorating the situation of the underprivileged and unsettled.
Furthermore, due to the transient nature of vagrants, the safety of a lumpsum amount is questionable in the hands of such people. There have been many instances where individuals have faced threats and mishaps due to the possession of valuables. Also, in many cases, homeless people end up spending assistance money on harmful and illegal items. Therefore, providing such people with monetary assistance can often put their lives in danger.
Nevertheless, it cannot be denied that even the slightest degree of assistance can significantly ease the difficulties of the needful. That being said, it is important to find a long-term solution rather than providing short-term support.
In conclusion, the plight of the homeless has been a complication for ages. Thus, to overcome this problem, more sophisticated measures should be taken than giving monetary aid.
2. Discussion Essay
In a discussion essay, you’ll have to discuss for and against the given topic. Here are links of some latest discussion essay topics with answers.
- Ageing population
- Dangerous Sports
- International Car-free days
- Education and Career
- People and community
- Economic growth
Online education is becoming more and more popular. Some people claim that e-learning has so many benefits that it will replace face-to-face education soon. Others say that traditional education is irreplaceable. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Elaborate on the topic and mention the contents of the following paragraphs.
- The benefits of online education and their impact on the future of education.
- The values of face to face learning and how it leads to better mental development.
- Summarize the essay and mention the final opinion on the topic.
Technological advancement is one of the highlights of the modern era. Today, online education has become so common that nearly all kinds of courses are available online. Preparation resources for every examination, along with video tutorials, are also provided via online platforms. It is believed by many that e-learning will replace the traditional ways of education. However, there is also a sizeable chunk of the population that believes conventional methods of teaching will always be superior. In this essay, I will elaborate on the topic from both perspectives and justify why I think online education will be the preferred method of learning in the future.
There is no doubt that learning through online platforms has become a common approach for countless students. The degree of comfort and convenience enjoyed by students while studying on their personal computers is unmatched. Additionally, with the availability of numerous tools and facilities online, students can now learn in a more sophisticated and substantial manner. Also, students can access their reference material at any point in time without any hindrance when online education is concerned.
Nevertheless, it cannot be denied that classroom learning has its own advantages. The level of retention is remarkably higher when an individual learns a concept or a subject directly from a teacher in a physical environment. Since students are able to see and hear the lectures by the professor, they are able to understand and analyse the material relatively better.
Finally, the better approach to learning is greatly influenced by personal choice. That being said, with the pace at which technology is progressing, it is safe to say that online learning will be the primary mode of education in the future.
IELTS Actual Test Questions (May - August 2022)
4.8 of 5
4.6 of 5
4.8 of 5
4.8 of 5
3. Advantage or Disadvantage Essay
For this type of essay, you have to write about the positive and negative aspects of the given topic. Here are links of some latest advantage/disadvantage essay topics with answers.
- Living in big cities
- Youth and Community
- Traffic and Accommodation
- Gap Year
- Remote Environment
Memorization of information by frequent repetition (rote learning) plays a role in most education systems. Do the advantages of this method of learning outweigh its disadvantages?
Advantages and Disadvantages Essay
- Paraphrase the topic and state the view.
- Mention the contents of the following paragraphs.
- List the advantages of rote learning and how it is more convenient than other methods.
- Mention the disadvantages of rote learning and its negative effects.
- Summarize the topic and state the final opinion.
There have been many approaches to learning as education has evolved over the years. For the past few years, rote learning has become an inherent part of education systems and learning in general. Many students follow this method religiously for exam preparations as it is a very convenient method of learning. However, like any other approach or method, rote learning also has pros and cons. In the following paragraphs, I will elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of memorization by repetition.
Firstly, rote memorization is one of the simplest ways of committing information to memory. This is a prime reason for this technique being so popular. Since this method allows students to learn a particular topic without understanding the meaning of the concepts, it enables them to prepare for examinations in a time-efficient manner as it takes significantly less time to cover the entire syllabus using this technique.
Au contraire, this method of memorization can have problematic consequences in the future if used far too often. If an individual learns an important topic or subject with the aid of rote learning, they might be unable to apply the knowledge from that subject in real life. As memorization by repetition indirectly obstructs mental development and growth of aptitude, people might find themselves in a plight when a situation arrives where conceptual knowledge is mandatory. Additionally, this method of learning tends to become habitual and thereby hard to change.
In conclusion, I would like to say that rote learning has become a very typical part of the present education system. Nevertheless, we must understand that such an approach does not facilitate proper learning.
4. Solution Essay
In solution essays, the topic will be a problem and you’ll have to give a solution to the particular issue. Sometimes the question may also be posed as to why this particular issue happened, and you’ll have to present your opinions based on the issue. Here are links to some latest cause/solution essay topics with answers.
- People and Society
- Energy Resources
- Birth Rate developed in countries
- Child Obesity
The world is experiencing a dramatic increase in population. This is causing problems not only for the poor undeveloped countries but also for industrialised and developing nations. Describe some of the problems that overpopulation causes. and suggest at least one possible solution.
- Paraphrase the topic using synonyms.
- Mention the contents of the subsequent paragraphs.
- List the major issues caused by overpopulation.
- Suggest possible solutions to overcome the mentioned problems.
- Summarize the essay and mention the solutions in brief.
The world population has reached tremendous heights over the last few decades, and today the current estimate on the number of inhabitants globally stands at 7.8 billion. The global population is rising at an alarming rate, and concurrently, this has led to numerous hardships to the entire human civilization. The adverse effects of overpopulation have not only been seen by third-world countries, but developed nations have also faced the issues caused by excessive population growth. In the following paragraphs, I will explore some pressing complications caused by excess population and possible solutions that can be implemented.
To begin with, one of the most consequential problems caused by overpopulation is the depletion of natural resources. Fossil fuels are on the verge of being completely exhausted with the rate at which they are being used by human beings. At the same time, water bodies are becoming contaminated, and the natural flora and fauna of the earth are also being destroyed for capitalist gains. Also, the overall surge in population puts an enormous strain on the government resources, availability of food and proper sheltering, etc.
In order to tackle the problem of overpopulation, people have to be educated on various aspects and topics that are typically stigmatized in various societies. Indeed, the growth in population cannot be curbed immediately. Thus, to ease the dependence of mankind on fossil fuels, alternative sources of energy must be discovered. If global superpowers and wealthy nations work in unison against the issue of excessive population growth, only then will this predicament be ameliorated.
Finally, the issues caused by overpopulation and excessive population growth cannot be improved straight away. However, we all must work towards improving this situation in order to create a better future for coming generations.
5. Direct Question Essay
For this type of essay, the topic will be a question for which you’ll have to answer based on your thoughts and experiences. Here are links of some latest direct question essay topics with answers.
- Art and Technology
- Freedom of Speech
- Gender discrimination
- Different medical tradition
- Natural Resources
Today more people are travelling than ever before. Why is this the case? What are the benefits of travelling for the traveller?
Direct Question Essay
- Paraphrase the topic.
- Mention the contents of the following paragraphs.
- Reasons behind travelling becoming common and frequent among people.
- Benefits of travelling.
- Summarize the topic and mention your answers in brief.
Visiting a foreign nation for leisure or work has become a regular affair for a majority of people in this day and age. Today, not going for a vacation atleast once in a calendar year is considered outlandish and atypical. The global tourism industry has developed to quite an extent over the last few years. In this essay, I am going to explore the reasons behind this trend of travelling and mention what travellers gain from their journeys.
People in the present era travel for a variety of reasons. Some of the chief reasons for travelling are better educational services, lucrative employment opportunities and also higher standards of living. With the advancement of technology and accessibility of information by the internet, people can make their travel plans with accuracy with the help of reliable information from travel websites and blogs. Additionally, countries across the globe have recognized the importance of tourism as a contributor to the economy of a nation and therefore have relaxed the travel laws making international travel significantly straightforward.
Travelling can lead to a plethora of benefits both physically and mentally in the life of a human being. People are often engaged in full-time job roles where they dedicate most of their time and energy. Amidst such a tedious routine, travel can help people take a break from the monotony of work and recharge their energy. Travelling also presents an individual with better opportunities in terms of education, employment, and living standards which might not be available in their native country.
In conclusion, I would like to say that the rise in travel and tourism of people is a direct consequence of the development of human civilization. As we progress further into the future, such ventures are becoming more simple and convenient.
Other Bonus IELTS Essay Topics
Discussions (Discursive Essay – Discuss both views) writing task 2 topics
- Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of society. Others, however, believe that school is the place to learn this. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people say that the government should not put money on building theatres and sports stadiums. Others argue that they should spend more money on medical care and education. Discuss both views and give your opinion
- Films and computer games containing violence are popular. Some people say they have negative impacts on sooety and should be banned, while others say they are just harmless relaxation. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
- Some people think that people moving to a new country should accept new culture in the foreign country. Others think that they should live as a separate minority group with different lifestyle. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Many people think that cheap air travel should be encouraged because it gives ordinary people freedom to travel further. However, others think this leads to environmental problems, so air travel should be more expensive in order to discourage people from having it. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people choose to eat no meat or fish. They believe that this is not only betterfor their own health but also benefits the world as a whole. Discuss this view and give your own opinion
- Some people say art (music, paintings, poetry etc.) can be created by any human being, while others believe that only people born with special abilities can create art. Discuss both views and give your own opinion
- Teachers used to convey information, but now with wide resources of information. Some people think that there is no role for teachers to play in modern education, others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
- Everyone should stay in school until the age of eighteen. Evaluate the arguments both and against this before reaching an opinion?
- Some people think that robots are very important for humans’ future development. Others, however, think that robots are a dangerous invention that could have negative effects on society. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- The development of technology has causes environmental problems. So, some people think people should choose a simpler way of life, while others think we should use technology to solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- The society would benefit from a ban on all forms of advertising because it serves no useful purpose, and can even be damaging. However, others argue that there are still some advantages of adverts. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
- Some people think that the news media nowadays have influenced people’s lives in negative ways. Others disagree and say that it is also positive. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Team activities can teach more skills for life than those activities which are played alone. Explain the benefits of each and give your own view?
- Some people say that healthcare and education should be the responsibility of the government but some people think that that it is the responsibility of the individuals themselves. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
- Some people think that cultural traditions may be destroyed when they are used as money-making attractions aimed at tourists. Others believe that is the only way to save these traditions. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
Opinion (Argumentative Essay – Agree or Disagree) writing task 2 topics
- Too much money has been spent on looking after and repairing old buildings. Therefore, we should knock down old buildings and build modern ones instead To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Researches show that overeating is as harmful as smoking. Therefore, the advertisements of food products should be banned in the same way as the cigarettes advertising is banned in many countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people say that subjects like arts, music, drama and creative writing are more beneficial to children and therefore they need more of these subjects to be included in the timetable. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that the government should not spend money on building theatres and sports stadiums. Instead, it should spend more money on medical care and education. Do you agree or disagree?
- The best way to understand other culture is to work in a multinational organization. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- The advantage of English spreading as a global language will continue to outweigh the disadvantages. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Is it better to be unemployed in jobs rather than to be employed in jobs even if they don’t feel happy or enjoy. Do you agree or disagree?
- Individual greed and selfishness have been the basis of the modern society. Some people think that we must return to the older and more traditional values of respect for the family and the local community in order to create a better world to live in. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Nowadays young people are spending their leisure period in shopping centers but not engaging themselves in other activities such as sport or music, which can affect themselves and society negatively. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Many students have to study subjects which they do not like. Some people think this is a complete waste of time. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- It is generally discussed among the public that extreme sports such as sky diving and rock-climbing should be banned. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Leisure is a growing industry, but people no longer entertain themselves as much as they used to because the use of modern technology has made them less creative. What is your opinion?
- Sending criminals to prison is not the best method of dealing with them. Education and job training are better ways to help them. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that children’s success in adult life depends on the way their parents brought up them. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think the government should pay for health care and education, but other people claim that it is the individual’s responsibility. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
- Many employees may work at home with the modern technology. Some people claim that it can benefit only the workers, not the employers. Is it a positive or negative development?
- The detailed description about crime will affect the people and cause many social problems. Some people say that the media should be strictly controlled. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- It is more important for a building to serve a purpose than to look beautiful. Architects shouldn’t worry about producing building as a work of art. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people claim that public museums and art galleries will not be needed because people can see historical objects and works of art by using a computer. Do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- An American film actor once said, “Tomorrow is important and precious”. Some people think individuals and society should pay more attention to the future than to the present. Do you agree or disagree?
- Rich countries should not employ skilled labor from poor countries, as poor countries need the workers more. Do you agree or disagree?
- Individuals should not be allowed to carry guns. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Money for postgraduate research is limited. Some people think that financial support from governments should be only provided for scientific research rather than research for less useful subjects. Do you agree or disagree?
- Television has changed the quality of life for the ordinary person. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think typical teaching of a teacher and students in the class will not exist by the year 2050. Are you optimistic or pessimistic about this view?
- In several years many languages die out. Some say it is not important because if we speak fewer languages life would be easier. Do you agree or disagree?
- Wild animals have no place in the 21st century, and the protection is a waste of resources. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that tourists should accept social and environmental responsibility while others believe that tourists should not accept any responsibility at all. What is your opinion?
- Some people argue that individuals can do nothing to improve the environment. Therefore, only governments and large companies can make a difference. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Today, majority of children are raised by their grandparents due to the fact that their parents are busy working. To what extent do you think that it affects the whole family?
- Fossil fuels (coal, oil, natural gas) are the main sources in many countries, but in some countries the use of alternative sources of energy (wind energy and solar energy) are encouraged. To what extent do you think it is a positive or negative development?
- The government is responsible for protecting a nation’s cultural identity. Thus, some people believe new buildings should be built in traditional styles. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Some people argue that companies and private individuals, rather than governments, should pay for pollution. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Children who grow up in families which are short of money are better prepared with the problems of adult life than children who are brought up by wealthy parents. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- The only way to improve the safety on our own road is to have stricter punishment for driving offenders. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- The main purpose of public libraries is to provide books and they shouldn’t waste their limited resources and space on providing expensive hi-tech media such as computer software, videos and DVDs. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Some people believe that air travel should be restricted because it causes serious pollution and uses up the world’s fuel resources. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- One long-distance flight consumes fuel which a car uses in several years’ time, but they cause the same amount of pollution. So some people think that we should discourage non-essential flights, such as tourist travel, rather than to limit the use of cars. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Housing shortage in big cities can cause severe social consequences. Some people think only government action can solve this problem. What is your opinion?
- The best way to solve the world’s environmental problem is to increase the price of fuel. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Earlier technological developments brought more benefits and changed the lives of ordinary people more than recent technological developments. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- The workplace nowadays is trying to employ the equal number of females and males. Do you think it is a positive or negative development? In modern society it is possible to go shopping, work and communicate via the internet without face-to-face contact with others. Is it positive or negative?
- In order to learn a language well, we should also learn about the country as well as the cultures and lifestyles of the people who speak this language. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Multi-cultural societies, in which there is a mixture of different ethnic peoples, bring more benefits than drawbacks to a country. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Some people think the main purpose of schools is to turn the children into good citizens and workers, rather than to benefit them as individuals. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Throughout the history, male leaders always lead us to violence and conflict. If a society is governed by female leaders it will be more peaceful. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- When international media (including movies, fashion shows, advertisements and other TV programmes) convey the same messages to the global audience, people argue that the expansion of international media has negative impacts on cultural diversity. What is your opinion?
- Some people argue that the government should spend money on public services and facilities, but not on the arts. Do you agree or disagree?
- In some countries old age is highly valued, while in others youth is emphasized. Which viewpoint do you agree with?
- Do you agree or disagree with the statement that families are as close as they used to be?
- Tobacco is a kind of drug. People have been free to use it. Some people think that it should be illegal to use it comparing with other drugs. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What is your opinion?
Advantages & Disadvantages writing task 2 topics
- Do you agree that the advantages cars bring outweigh the disadvantages?
- Some people think that animals should be kept in men made cells. What are the disadvantages of keeping animal in zoos?
- People can live and work anywhere they want to choose because of improved communication technology and transport. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
- Food can be produced much more cheaply today because of improved fertilizers and better machinery. However, some of the methods used to do this may be dangerous to human health and may have negative effects on local communities. What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- The spread of English as a “global language” is an issue nowadays. To what extent do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
- As global trade increases between different countries, many daily necessities are produced in other countries. Such goods are usually transported a long distance. Do the benefits of this trend outweigh its drawbacks?
- It is better for students at university to live far away from home than to live at home with their parents. What are the advantages and disadvantages, and give your own opinion?
- Many museums charge people for admission while others are free. Do you think the advantages of charging people for admission to museum outweigh the disadvantages?
Problems/Causes & Solutions writing task 2 topics
- The subjects and lesson contents are decided by the authorities such as the government. Some people argue that teachers should make the choice. What are the pros and cons of each method, give some solutions?
- The speeding up of life in many areas such as travel and communication has negative effects on society at all levels— individual, national and global. Evaluate the effects?
- In some countries, the rate of crimes committed by teenagers is increasing. What are the reasons and what can be done to relieve the problem?
- The major cities in the world are growing fast, as well as their problems. What are the problems that young people living in cities are faced with? Give some solutions to these problems.
- In some countries, a high proportion of criminal acts are committed by teenagers. Why is it the case? What can be done to deal with this?
Two-part Questions writing task 2 topics
- Some people believe they should keep all the money they have earned and should not pay tax to the state. What is the purpose of taxes? Why do some people refuse to pay taxes and explain the effects on society?
- People find it very difficult to speak in public or to give a presentation before an audience. Do you think public speaking skill is really important? Give reasons.
- Many people are optimistic of the 21st century and see it as an opportunity to make positive changes to the world. To what extent do you share their optimism? What changes would you like to see in the new century?
- Many people say that we have developed into a “throw-away” culture because we are filling up our environment with so many plastic bags and rubbish that we cannot fully dispose of. To what extent do you agree with this opinion and what measures can you recommend reducing this problem?
- With the increase in the use of mobile phones and computers, fewer people are writing letters. Some people think that the traditional skill of writing letters will disappear completely. To what extent do you agree or disagree? How important do you think is letter-writing?
- In the past, buildings often reflected the culture of a society but today all modern buildings look alike and cities throughout the world are becoming more and more similar Why is it the case? Is it a good thing or bad thing?
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the essay structure based on the essay topic (Eg: Education) or essay type (Eg: Opinion essay)?
What should I do to write an effective essay?
I fear to give my opinion on controversial issues? How do I deal with this?
Will you be marked for the subject? What if I try to present great ideas with weak grammar?
How will the words be counted in IELTS exam?