Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic & Band 8.0 Positive or Negative development Essay
IELTS Writing Task 2
Scientists say that in the future humanity will speak the same language. Do you think this is a positive or negative social development?
Tips to Answer :
“Do you think this is a positive or negative social development?” is quite common type of essay question in the IELTS writing test these days.
Please find below some pieces of advice for this type of essay question:
- This type of question is asking for your opinion (Do you think…) write about the point of views of you, instead of other people.
- You can answer this type of question in 3 ways: (1) You believe that it is a positive development. (2) You believe that it is a negative development. (3) You reckon that it is both positive and negative.
- You should make your opinion clear in the introduction, support it with good ideas in the main body, and repeat / summarise it in the conclusion.
Positive and negative essay sample:
Now, let’s read an Model Essay for this type of question :
The increasing use of some languages has led to a prospect that the world may speak one language in the future. While this has several advantages, I believe that it is an overall negative trend.
On the one hand, it is true that having a universal language may remove communication barriers among people in the world. When the world speaks the same language, this would result in fewer misunderstandings caused by people using different languages to convey their thoughts. The benefits of a universal dialect may reverberate across the globe, as people could work for overseas companies, travel to exotic places or live in a foreign country without encountering any significant difficulties in communication. In this way, a predominant language may bridge the gap between diverse groups of people and form a global village where individuals can live in harmony with each other.
On the other hand, I contend that the above positive impacts are negated by potential problems. Primarily, if one language were spoken by all people, this would cause the loss of cultural diversity that makes human society interesting. When a language is marginalized, a whole way of life may disappear with it, which includes history, customs and social etiquette. For example, the widespread use of English has put some minor and indigenous languages in Africa on the verge of extinction. Without proactive actions to preserve those languages, society might witness the disappearance of the whole culture that has evolved over the course of human history.
In conclusion, although a universal language may have several benefits, I firmly hold the view that the drawbacks are more significant.
(269 words – by [email protected])
Examiner’s Comment :
This essay provides a clear answer to the essay question. The writer’s viewpoint is clearly stated in the introduction and thoroughly explained in the main body. The ideas are well-organized and closely connected to each other by using linking devices. This would score Band 8.0.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary