IELTS Advantage/Disadvantage Essay Topic: Transport and Accommodation Problems are Increasing
IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic
Traffic and accommodation problems are increasing and government should encourage businesses to move from cities to rural areas. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? OR
As transport and accommodation problems are increasing in many cities, some governments are encouraging businesses to move to rural areas. Do you think the advantages outweigh disadvantages? OR
Some people think that it would be better for large companies and industry to move to regional areas outside large urban centers. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
Band 8.5 Sample Essay
In the past, factories were often built close to city areas as the lack of transportation forbade people to do otherwise. However, this is not exactly the case today, when industries and businesses are moving from municipal and into countryside areas in flocks. This essay will elaborate on both positive and negative effects of this trend.
On the positive side, firstly, this movement makes perfect environmental sense. Due to industrial activities, residents of many cities around the world are still breathing in air and consume water dirty enough to cause numerous health diseases. Therefore, moving businesses out of the cities will rid human and other species of pollution. A further advantage of this trend is reducing the gap between the rich and the poor in a country, as countryside dwellers can opt to work in factories with higher pay, rather than agricultural work. This will eventually bring about peace and harmony to society.
On the negative side, doing business in the countryside also represents some notable drawbacks. To begin with, skilled workers are a rarity in rural areas. Most people living in small towns and villages do not receive sufficient education to undertake intellectual jobs. What is also disadvantageous is based in regional areas, companies risk distancing themselves further from their customers, their suppliers and other partners in their business transactions, which can weaken their profitability.
In conclusion, moving business from cities to rural areas can be a smart decision. However, there are disadvantages that should be weighed carefully against the advantages.
Useful words and expressions:
- Be in close proximity to: be close to
- A flock of: a lot of
- To elaborate (v.) to explain further
- In flocks: a lot of them.
- Rid human and other species of pollution: to make them free of pollution.
- To make environmental sense: to be good for the environment
- To rid somebody of something: remove that thing from someone.
- To undertake: To bear the responsibility of, to carry out
- Intellectual jobs (n.) jobs that require mental skills.
- Weaken their profitability: make it less profitable
- Distance yourself from: to stay away from
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- It Has Been Suggested That Everyone In The World Wants To Own A Car a Tv And a Fridge
- Nowadays The Differences Between Countries Are Becoming Less Evident Because People Follow The Same Media
- Young People Who Commit Serious Crimes Should Be Punished In The Same Way As Adults
- In Some Countries The Average Weight Of People Is Increasing
- Some People Believe That Air Travel Should Be Restricted
See also :