It is now possible for scientists and tourists to travel to remote natural environment – IELTS Writing Task 2 Advantage/Disadvantage Essays
It is now possible for scientists and tourists to travel to remote natural environment, such as the South Pole. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
As technology has developed, people can now travel to remote natural areas. While this trend is beneficial to some extent, I would argue that its disadvantages are more significant.
On the one hand, visiting isolated natural places has some benefits. Firstly, this is a newer and more interesting type of travelling. Since going to other cities or countries has been too common for most people, it might be more exciting for them to explore new places such as the South Pole or the Amazon rainforest. This gives them valuable experiences and unforgettable memories. Secondly, when visiting remote areas, people, especially scientists, might acquire more knowledge about the natural habitat. For example, when coming to the North Pole, scientists can learn about the life of polar bears which live far away from humans.
IELTS Actual Test Questions (August - November 2021)
4.8 of 5
4.6 of 5
4.8 of 5
4.8 of 5
On the other hand, I believe this development has far more drawbacks. The first one is that travelling to remote natural areas can be risky if the travellers are not sufficiently prepared. For instance, the temperature at the South Pole is usually very low, which adversely affects people’s health. Travelling to forests can also be dangerous as people have to face the risk of being attacked by animals. Also, since visiting isolated places often requires a large amount of investment in researching and ensuring the safety of travellers, the costs of travelling tend to be high. Therefore, it seems like only scientists and rich people can afford this activity, so this development is likely to benefit only a small group of individuals.
In conclusion, I believe the disadvantages of people being able to travel to remote areas outweigh its advantages.
Useful Vocabulary & Expressions:
- isolated: far away from any others ==>isolated rural areas
- common: happening often, existing in large numbers or in many places ==>Jackson is a common English name.
- adverse: negative and unpleasant==> Lack of money will have an adverse effect on our research program.
- ensure: to make sure that something happens or is definite ==>The book ensured his success.
It is true that humans can now set foot in wild regions far away from civilisation. While I accept that this development can have certain benefits for the human race, I believe that it is likely to have a harmful impact on nature.
On the one hand, undertaking expeditions to the wilderness can be valuable in terms of both science and recreation. There are a considerable number of undiscovered secrets that can be tremendously useful for researchers to conduct their studies. For instance, environmental scientists can analyse the data about the thickness of ice layers over millions of years in both hemispheres to predict the possible changes in global temperatures. Such findings are crucial for the governments to develop appropriate plans to alleviate global warming. Furthermore, the untouched beauty of these areas is usually appealing to travellers, providing people with an attractive option of holiday destination or excursion.
However, I would argue that these positive aspects are outweighed by the drawbacks. When people are given full and easy access to the distant and unpopulated areas, there are likely to be more moving there to reside or start their business. It has been shown that substantial damage has been done to nature such as massive deforestation or water contamination due to humans’ lack of environmental awareness. If there is inadequate protection of the environment from this type of action, wild regions in the world will no longer exist, unspeakably affecting not only the overall ecology but also the lives of other people.
In conclusion, it seems to me that the potential dangers of travelling to wild environments are more significant than the possible benefits for the mentioned reasons.
- Appealing (adj): attractive or interesting ==>Overseas students who are offered an appealing salary and position in a foreign company are usually unable to resist the offer and choose to remain in the country instead of returning to their native land.
- Distant (adj): far away ==>The application of technology in the form of electric household appliances has facilitate the enjoyment of people’s life to a great extent..
- Unpopulated (adj): having no inhabitants
- Reside (v): to live, have your home, or stay in a place ==>The huge waves of immigrants from poorer countries flocking to wealthier nations can threaten to take the jobs of those who have resided in their countries for a long time by accepting to work for a much lower pay.
- Substantial (adj): large in size, value or importance ==>By respecting the substantial differences between the older and the younger generations, the mutual understanding between them can be greatly enhanced.
- Massive deforestation (noun phrase): the destruction of forests by people on a large scale ==>Massive deforestation is largely attributable to massive deforestation because there are not enough trees to help to hold the flood water.
- Contamination (n): the action of making something less pure or poisonous. ==>In many rural villages in China and Vietnam, the supply of underground water which has been in use for hundreds of years is now incapable of meeting the growing demand of the expanding population, threatening the health of the people with using water which has not been tested for contamination.
- Environmental awareness (noun phrase): the understanding that the environment needs to be protected (ý thức bảo vệ môi trường). Ví dụ: The first step to environmental protection is concerned with raising the environmental awareness of individuals.
- Ecology (n): the relationships between the air, land, water, animals, etc ==>Oil spills cause terrible damage to the fragile ecology of the sea.
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
Also Check :