IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Newspapers are less Important Nowadays
Topic: Although more and more people read the news on internet, newspapers will remain the most important source of news for the majority of people. Do you agree or disagree? (IELTS Writing Task 2 – Actual Test, 23th January) OR
Newspapers are less important nowadays because we have up-to-date access to the news on the internet. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
Model Essay, Band 8.0+
In the modern world, obtaining news on the Internet has become an accelerating trend. I have faith in the likelihood of this trend overshadowing the traditional way of reading newspapers to become the most crucial source of news.
The most obvious proof supporting my viewpoint is the decline in the popularity of traditional newspapers. Conventional newspapers’ nature is characterized by a thorough and time-consuming process of editing, printing, and distributing. This turns out to be a weakness that causes newspapers to fail to meet the instant quest for news of modern newsreaders. In addition, due to the fact that printed newspapers are geographically limited, their reach and exposure levels are be becoming substantially lower than those of online news. Apparently, it is online press, not the traditional one, which helps news seekers all over the globe access local news as well as global news published by a variety of internationally prestigious newspapers including BBC, New York Times, and Wall Street Journal. Such availability of online news far outweighs that of printed news, steadily dominating the news industry.
Moreover, the advantages of online news significantly surpass those of printed newspaper. In this era of advanced technology and communication, the omnipresence of the Internet and the availability of Internet devices have boosted the popularity of online news to the extent that the concept of buying and reading a printed newspaper would become obsolete and inconvenient. Online platforms which facilitate fast-moving and immediate news updates will certainly become the utmost solution to satisfy increasing demand and busy news seekers. Thanks to Internet-based platforms, news about an incident happening half the world away could be retrieved within a few seconds after its commencement, which renders news updates one day later on conventional newspapers out of date.
In conclusion, despite the fact that printed newspapers still hold an important role, I firmly support the tendency that they will be eclipsed by online news.
Model Essay Note
Type: Strong Opinion Essay
- Point of view: Conventional newspapers can’t remain the most popular source of information and can be replaced by online news.
- Idea 1: the decline in popularity of traditional newspapers
- Idea 2: the advantages of online news significantly surpass those of printed newspaper
- Vocabulary relates to Theme (Information – Press): traditional newspaper – printed news – conventional news; process of editing, printing and distributing; reach and exposure levels; online press – online news; the news industry; retrieve news, out of date, news update, newsreaders – new seekers – new followers; immediate news updates
- Academic Vocabulary: overshadow – eclipse – outweigh; facilitate; the nature of sth; characterize; obsolete; commencement
Model Essay 2
It is true that a growing number of people are using the Internet in order to find out the latest news. While newspapers are still popular, I strongly disagree that most people will continue to rely on them as a source of news.
The first reason for my view relates to the increasing use of the Internet around the world. Recently, a growing number of people have accessed online news via technological gadgets such as smart phones or tablets, so they do not need to buy a newspaper to obtain news. Even in more remote corners of the world, access to the Internet is becoming more widespread and the online community is growing daily.
Secondly, online news is always up-to-date while printed news needs time for editing, printing and delivering. In this fast changing world, readers tend to expect updated information about what has just happened or is happening around them. Online news can be broadcast immediately with vivid pictures and relevant stories, making it more appealing to readers than printed news.
Finally, the Internet is a repository of information for people to dig for information that they need. Digital information can be stored in mass quantity, which allows internet users to search for events that occurred in the past. In contrast, newspapers are generally hard to preserve because of the corrosive effects of the environment and their sheer bulk makes storage difficult. This once again confirms the edge of online news.
In conclusion, I firmly believe that the Internet is even now replacing newspaper as the principal medium or accessing all the latest news.
Model Essay 3
The advent of the Internet and other forms of media in the twenty first century has unquestionably brought about a metamorphosis in the way people seek knowledge and information. Newspapers, the one form of media which was once considered highly important, has now entered a state of significant and rapid decline in many places across the world. This has led to suggestions that newspaper will soon become a thing of the past. My way of thinking is that the death of newspapers is almost certain.
Firstly, many people are against reading newspapers because the process of making it is not environmentally sustainable. Even though newspapers today are losing their readerships, a staggering number of trees are being cut down every day to produce them. On the other hand, using digital tools to disseminate knowledge does not necessitate cutting down trees, disrupting animal lives and certainly proves to be more environmentally friendly.
Secondly, readers of newspapers are likely to receive out of date or incorrect information. The fact is that the process of making a newspaper is a long and complicated one, involving many stages such as writing, editing, printing and distribution. This means that by the time newspapers hit the shelves, there might be some changes to the events covered and it will already be too late to make any adjustments.
Nevertheless, some are skeptical about the view that newspapers will die out and their argument is that newspapers are a more reliable source of information than other types of media such as the Internet. However, the truth is that many journalists today display poor professionalism and low morality. Many do not think twice about writing incorrect information in order to increase the readership. This shows that the information in the newspapers is not any more trustworthy than on the Internet.
These points have strongly corroborated my view that the decline of newspapers is not overstated and there will be no place for newspapers in the near future.
- Today the internet has replaced traditional books as a source of information. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this development.
- Some people say that ebooks and modern technology will totally replace traditional newspaper and magazines. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Useful words and expressions:
- Seek knowledge
- enter a state of significant and rapid decline
- disseminate knowledge
- corroborate the view
- think twice about sth
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- Some People Think That Increasing Business and Cultural Contact
- Women and Men Are Commonly Seen As Having Different Strengths And Weaknesses
- There Have Been Many Inventions In Human History, Such As The Wheel
- The Birth Rate In Most Developed Countries Is Predicted To Begin To Fall Over The Next 50 Years
- Many People Think Modern Communication Technology Is Having Some Negative Effects On Social Relationship
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Essay Topics
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Direct question essay
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet