Technology and Communication – IELTS Writing Task 2
Many people think modern communication technology is having some negative effects on social relationships. Do you agree or disagree?
Get Evaluated for FREE:
Do you have an essay on this topic? Please post it in the comments section. One of our IELTS trainers will evaluate your essay from an examiner’s point of view and reply to the comment. This service is completely FREE of cost.
- Paraphrase the topic of the essay (The impacts of digital communication on human relationships have long been a topic of controversy).
- Give an insight into your viewpoint (From my perspective, modern means of communication may sabotage one’s relationships with other people).
- Paragraph 1- Nowadays, various features such as built-in cameras and interactive games have been added to the mobile phone, making it multifunctional and thus even more popular. However, I believe the omnipresence of mobile phones in particular, or digital communication tools in general, often interferes with the bonding time that people share and thus has a negative influence on interpersonal relationships.
- Paragraph 2- Some people use mobile phones mainly for virtual social networks, and notifications and messages from these sites may prevent them from having intimate conversations with their loved ones.
Conclude the topic by summing up your views and the extract of the essay.
The impacts of digital communication on human relationships have long been a topic of controversy. From my perspective, modern means of communication may sabotage one’s relationships with other people.
The most typical example of today’s communication technology is the mobile phone. Originally designed to provide people with instant access to telecommunication, it has become indispensable for most people in modern society. Nowadays, various features such as built-in cameras and interactive games have been added to the mobile phone, making it multifunctional and thus even more popular. However, I believe the omnipresence of mobile phones in particular, or digital communication tools in general, often interferes with the bonding time that people share and thus has a negative influence on interpersonal relationships. There is compelling evidence for my belief. If people use mobile phones for work purposes, business calls may disrupt any real-life conversations they have. This is the case for millions of working people who may have overlooked the importance of having smooth and uninterrupted conversations with other people. They may be unaware that relationships are at risk of eroding when people spend less quality time with each other. Also, if people use mobile phones to play games, the constant urge to complete game missions may disengage them from social gatherings. For example, many teenagers sacrifice real-life socialising time for mobile game playing time. In the long term, this would be likely to cause friends to drift apart.
Some people use mobile phones mainly for virtual social networks, and notifications and messages from these sites may prevent them from having intimate conversations with their loved ones. There are many real examples of couples on the verge of breaking up because one or both partners have grown overly attached to social network applications on mobile phones, and they find it hard to maintain a sense of intimacy.
Although most people use mobile phones for all personal as well as professional reasons and consequently, they need to pay constant attention to their phone, however, potentially isolating those in their company. In this way, mobile phones may dull real-life interactions and affect relationships as a result.
In brief, the constant distraction of modern communication devices such as mobile phones may cause the breakdown of numerous social relationships.
Band 9 Sample Essay
Signup/login to unlock band 9 essay and ace the IELTS
Ever since the era of technology emerged, life has changed dramatically. Today where every second thing is being operated by digital contrivances, some ill effects have come floating by, as well. Generally, people put forth that the current digital scenario and communication devices and interfaces particularly have impeded and halted conventional interactions. I agree with this notion and shall be illustrating the same in the forthcoming paragraphs.
It is an inevitable truth that digitization has made our arduous lives extremely cosy and that it nearly ineluctable tangent that we all are on today. However, the impact it has had on social relationships are undeniably true. Family gatherings, outings and various other aspects of live communication have been trampled down upon with the uprising of online social networks. One to one discussion has been displaced by social media, the family time has been subjugated by facetime and webcams. Mobile phones have been the major disruptive cause in evicting out the person to person verbal communication. Owing to this sociability and amicability has been corroded off to substantial capacity.
Secondly, people while being there in an online medium and e-communication transmission mask their realities to a larger level where it is hard to discern as to what one person is gravely going through behind the lenses. Moreover, a sense of harmony and connectedness has been deeply lacerated as one can’t get through the emotional streamline of others as well as it is in the case of one to one conversation. In addition to that, work from home, online schooling and internet parties can never compare and become congruent to the essence of offline setup. The gist and feel of very communication without screen barriers have definitely been exacerbated by the day to day unstinted techno-growth. Due to this, the communication gaps, misconstruction, misconception and misunderstandings have been preponderant and therefore, the relations have turned rancorous. For instance, many times the people who tend to be at loggerheads, resolve and laugh out the grudges they had post figuring out how paltry the issue was that could have never had been aired had the communication was in an offline environment.
Though online communication tools are the need of the hour, the way it has obliterated and debilitated the lines of personal communication with a tinge of conversing effectively is indisputably true as well.
Therefore, in the conclusion, it could be stated that the layer of social harmony and personal belongingness has indeed been excruciated by the pillars and towers of online networking, where people communicate only when they are extremely in need of, thereby making them recluse and secluded.
More Writing Task 2 Essay Topics
- Many People Think Modern Communication Technology Is Having Some Negative Effects On Social Relationship
- An Increasing Number Of Professionals Such As Doctors and Teachers Are Leaving
- Some People Think That Newspapers Are The Best Way To Learn News
- Many Developing Countries Require Help From International Organizations To Develop
- Studies Show That Many Criminals Have A Low Level of education
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Essay Topics
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- IELTS Direct question essay
- IELTS Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet