IELTS Writing Task 2 Argumentative Essay of Band 8.5 – Topic: Crime
IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic
Studies show that many criminals have a low level of education. For this reason, people believe that the best way to reduce crime is to educate people in prison so they can get a job when leave prison. Do you agree or disagree?
Band 8.5 Model Answer
Recently, crime has been increasing out of control. Some hold the idea that in order to deter crimes, criminals should be given proper education while in prison. Personally, I partly share the same view with this.
It is my belief that nurture, not nature, is responsible for malignant and antisocial behaviours. That is to say, everybody is born with good personalities and what turns some into criminals is parental neglect and lack of education. Many studies have shown that children who are not supervised by their parents on a regular basis are many times more likely to go off the rails, commit acts of selfishness or to behave aggressively against others. This rationalizes why I think a good number of prisoners after being released will not repeat their offences if they are given an education.
In addition, while being in jail, inmates have plenty of time which can be misspent. For example, some of them spend their time gambling with their cellmates or accessing materials with objectionable contents. Thus, giving them the opportunity to be educated translates to the reduction of time, which can be potentially frittered away or used for malicious purposes.
Nevertheless, there are objections to this perspective. Those who oppose it, claim that the potential program of giving education to criminals can cost a huge amount of money from the Government budget. However, considering the result it can deliver in the long run as far as societal stability is concerned, this program is not a waste of taxpayers’ money.
What has been discussed above has effectively corroborated my view that education can reduce participation in criminal activities, and inmates should receive an education while serving time.
Useful Expressions :
- To deter crimes: prevent criminal acts.
- To have antisocial behaviour: A behaviour that is harmful to society.
- Parental neglect: not enough care from parents.
- Supervise (v.) control.
- Go off the rails: start behaving in a unacceptable way.
- Objectionable (adj.) unpleasant, wrong
- Inmate (v.) those who are imprisoned
- Societal stability.
- To fritter away time: misspend time.
- Malicious (adj.) intended to harm others
- To translate to: change something into something
- To corroborate something: add proof to it.
- To serve time: to be put into prison.
Also check :
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Preparation Tips
- Tips to Improve IELTS Writing Skills
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary