IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic : Inventions & Band 9 Model Essay
There have been many inventions in human history, such as the wheel. Some people think the most important thing is the internet. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
In the ancient era, the human race discovered how to create fire, invented the wheel, and laid the foundation for today’s printing technology. Later on, in the industrial era, they built more complex machinery and started to use motorised vehicles. Although all these facilities have proved their great significance to all mankind throughout history, some state that the single most important invention is the Internet. From my perspective, such a statement is an exaggeration, despite some benefits of the Internet.
In this digital era, the Internet helps store, communicate, and disseminate information quickly and conveniently. As a key method of storing data, an increasingly high number of people upload their files onto the Internet. Microsoft’s OneDrive, for example, is a cloud storage service that provides file storage services for tens of millions of people. Furthermore, as an important means of communication, the Internet enables people to get in touch with their friends easily. This can be clearly seen in the case of Snap Chat, a messaging application with millions of users monthly. Finally, the Internet serves as an important tool that facilitates the dissemination of information. An excellent example of this is Facebook, a social network that acts as a virtual platform helping one spread their ideas whenever and wherever they want.
Although the power of the Internet cannot be overstated, I firmly believe that there are even more valuable inventions. The first is electricity, without which almost all electronic devices cannot function. In other words, the Internet could be of no use if there were no electricity. The second is engines, which can be seen in a great diversity of facilities, from the old hydropower locomotives to today’s luxury solar-powered airplanes. If there were no engines, people would have to use animal-powered or human-powered vehicles, which are often much slower than their motorised counterparts. To illustrate, the top pace of an average camel is 30 miles per hour, half that of a car on a highway. The final and most important discovery, from my point of view, is mobile phones, which are the physical platform for various forms of digital communication. Today, billions are using mobile phones to make calls and send text messages on a daily basis, a much greater number than that of those using the Internet for the same purpose.
To sum up, the Internet has some enormous advantages for the human race, but there are even more significant discoveries, including electricity, engines, and mobile phones. I predict that along with the Internet, these three inventions will still be the cornerstones of future humanity.
- All inventions and discoveries like the discovery of fire and electricity have impacts on our lives so much so that people can no longer live without them. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Most scientific inventions and discoveries are worthless and only waste time and money resources. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion.
- Some people believe that modern inventions have brought more problems than the benefits. Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons to your answer, and required examples.
- As a result of electronic inventions such as the computer and television, people do less physical activity, and this is having a negative effect on their health. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Essay Topics
- Tips to write introduction in IELTS Writing Task 2
- Tips to write great writing essay
- IELTS Sample essays
- IELTS Writing task 2 Tips
- IELTS Writing tips
- How to get band 8 in IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Writing recent actual test
- Direct question essay
- Band 9 essays
- Advantage and Disadvantage Essays
- IELTS Writing Answer sheet
- IELTS map vocabulary
- IELTS Writing Task 1 Connectors