Task 1: The table below shows the percentage of the population by age groups in one town who rode bicycles in 2011.
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 8th September With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 25th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 18th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 28th July With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
Paraphrase: shows>compares; percentage>proportion; rode bicycles>cycled
Overview paragraph: (1) a higher percentage of females – all ages – than males rode bicycles (2) between 18 and 59, the figures for cyclists – both genders – were lower than for other age groups.
Paragraph 3: compare proportions of males and females who cycled in the age groups 0-9 and 10-17.
Paragraph 4: compare declining percentages of males and females who rode bicycles in the 18-59 age groups.
Paragraph 5: contrast the rise in the figures for cyclists aged 60+.
The table compares the proportion of the population of one town who cycled in 2011, according to five age groups.
Overall, it is clear that in all the age groups, the percentage of female cyclists was higher than male cyclists. However, for both genders, the proportion of the population who rode bicycles was lowest between the ages of 18 and 59.
Just over half of all females and males rode bicycles in the age group 0-9, and this proportion remained high among 10-17 year old girls, at about 42%.However, among boys aged 10-17, the percentage who cycled declined by over half to less than 25%.
The figures for the 18-39 and 40-59 year olds are much lower. In the former age group, only about 17% of women cycled, compared with just under 10% of men. Between the ages of 40 and 59, the figures fell further, to a little over 12% for women and 8 per cent for men.
However, the percentage of those over 60 who rode bicycles then rose significantly, reaching 18.5% for women compared with around 13% for men.
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- 50 IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics 2020 with Model Answers - January 7, 2020
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!