Protectorate – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Protectorate: (Noun) /prəˈtektərət/
a country that is protected and controlled by a more powerful country
Outpost, Province, Territory
For IELTS Speaking:.
“By 1090 Rodrigo had succeeded in establishing a huge protectorate in the east which he found increasingly hard to maintain.”
“The colony plus the protectorate thus came to constitute what is now Sierra Leone.”
“With the advent of independence in 1961, the cultural gap between colony and protectorate suddenly assumed new and larger political significance.”
For IELTS Writing:
“Island authorities are keen to take advantage of their position as a self-governing Crown protectorate to attract offshore investment funds.”
Choose the following words to fill in the blank: contact, external, precise, capacity, protectorate, monitoring, revenue, licences, targeted, whereas.
- In the culture of Zambia, direct eye _______________ with members of the opposite sex is avoided.
- Captain Cook visited Tahiti four times between 1769 and 1777, and drew a _______________ map of the island.
- The terrorists had _______________ the government building for a suicide attack.
- Someone once joked that dogs think you’re family, _______________ cats think you’re staff.
- _______________ devices connect to ports at the back of the computer.
- Our total sales _______________ is expected to top $20 million this year.
- A _______________ crowd of 17,000 fans were packed into the arena to see the final game of the season.
- Environmentalists are _______________ water quality in the area to see if the factory is polluting the river.
- The French ____________ of Vietnam started in 1887
- More than 110,000 marriage _______________ are issued in Las Vegas each year.
Check out Vocabulary for IELTS Speaking & Writing on IELTS Material website to improve your vocabulary for IELTS and get a high score in IELTS.Me
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by Huy Quoc (see all)
- Fall From Grace – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 7, 2017
- Stir Up A Hornet’s Nest – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 5, 2017
- Snug As A Bug In A Rug – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 3, 2017