Boost Your Lexical Resource – Keyword: Rule
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
Use the correct form of these verbs:
|change||come into effect|
- There is no point in having rules unless they are ______.
- In the UK school rules often ______ that no pupil is allowed out of school during school hours.
- The new rules for handling meat products ______ from Monday next week.
- The proposal to ______ the rules was narrowly defeated by 403 votes to 401. Things will remain as they were.
Complete the sentences with these nouns:
- When our daughter started at her new school, she had to learn a whole new ______ of rules.
- The investigation showed that the pilot of the crashed plane had not broken any rules or regulations. In particular, there had been no ______ of air safety rules.
- There are always ______ to grammar rules, but maybe that means there’s something wrong with the rules!
- The new manager’s strict ______ to the rules made him unpopular. Sometimes you have to bend the rules a little!
3. Obeying and Disobeying Rules
Underline the 10 verbs that collocate with rules:
- There are stiff fines for breaking the rules.
- If competitors do not follow the rules, their team will lose points.
- Safety rules are routinely flouted on the building site. It’s dangerous to disregard them.
- I’m sorry, madam, but we have to go by the rules. I can’t change them just for you.
- Staff must abide by the new rules. Those who refuse to comply with them will be dismissed.
- Do we have to stick rigidly to the rules? Can’t you bend them just a little?
Now divide the above verbs into two groups:
- obey: _________________________________
- disobey: ________________________________
4. Common Adjective Collocations
Use these words to complete the sentences:
|hard and fast||first|
- Before we can even begin to settle this dispute, we need to agree the ______rules first. Without these basic rules in place, we’ll get nowhere!
- Under the _____ rules, you can bring 1,000 cigarettes into the country. A few years ago you were only allowed 200.
- There are rules which are not official, but which people accept and obey. For example, you can wear what you like to my work. There’s no ______ rule that says you can’t wear jeans. It’s just that most people don’t.
- Orthodox Jews will only eat kosher food which has been prepared according to very ______ rules.
- The students complain that they are subjected to too many ______ rules. For example, many think that having to walk up steps one at a time is mad!
- The ______ rule of good management is – learn to delegate!
1. Note the expression ‘as a rule’:
2. Workers who ‘work to rule’ do what they must do, but nothing extra. For example:
3. If you ‘bend’ or ‘stretch’ the rules, you do something that is not normally allowed:
3. come into effect
a) follow, go by, abide by, comply with, stick to
b) break, flout, disregard, change, bend
3. hard and fast