Describe a job your grandparents did: IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample Answer
Describe one of your grandparent’s job/ Describe a job your grandparent did.
You should say:
- what job it was;
- when and where your grandparent did the job;
- how long he or she did the job;
- and explain how you think about this job.
My grandparents were rice farmers. I think most old people in my country used to be farmers because in the past our country relied mostly on agriculture. Our country also went through many wars, which made agriculture even more important as we couldn’t afford food imports.
My grandparents were given some plots of land to grow rice on. It was a difficult job, they had to wake up very early in the morning, and there was virtually no machinery, so everything was done by hand. You also risk losing your harvest due to bad weather.
My grandparents told me about the famines where a lot of people died. But somehow that made people more united, and there was more sympathy for others. Nowadays, you can be pretty sure that you won’t starve, but most people just mind their own business, and that sense of unity seems to have been lost.
- In the past: gone by in time and no longer existing.
Eg: She regretted the mistakes, committed in the past.
- Afford: have enough money to pay for.
Eg: Rose can afford to buy only one dress.
- Plots: the story of a book, film, play, etc.
Eg: The movie has a very simple plot.
- Virtually: nearly; almost.
Eg: The natural disaster virtually rendered the city in ruins
- Sympathy: feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else’s misfortune.
Eg: She had a great sympathy for the old man.
See also :