How to Improve PTE Speaking score
Millions of people who take the PTE each year are wondering how to improve their PTE Speaking score to add a star to this English language proficiency. Being able to communicate efficiently and effectively in English is a strong skill to add to your resume in today’s interconnected and diverse global environment. However, a lot of individuals who are learning English as a second language may struggle to improve their PTE Speaking score.
Even if you are fluent in other aspects like reading and writing, a low grade in the PTE Speaking section might trip up your chances of emigration to your country of choice or gaining admission into your first-preference university. Therefore, it is vital to improve your PTE Speaking score and ensure that you have a well-rounded English proficiency skill set. If you are looking for tips and tricks on how to improve your PTE Speaking score, read below.
What is the PTE Speaking score?
The PTE Speaking score tests your ability to articulate and communicate well in English. The testing criterion for this section includes seven types of questions, which are:
- Read Aloud
- Re-tell Lecture
- Describe Image
- Repeat Sentence
- Answer Short Question
- Summarize Written Text
Besides these questions, there is a section for the candidate’s personal introduction. Though your answer for this will not be graded, your reply might be shared with universities in order to establish your identity as well as important information.
How to improve your PTE Speaking score?
It is essential to have a well-rounded score in each section of the PTE so as to gain a high overall score. Therefore, you must understand the pitfalls for each section as well as prepare and practice exercises for each skill one by one.
For the Speaking section, these skills include -pronunciation, enunciation, and vocabulary.
Here are the essential tips to ace the Speaking section of the PTE and improve your score:
- Do not rush your answer: As students only have 30 seconds to answer, you may feel the need to fit in as much content as possible within the short timeframe. However, this might negatively affect the quality of your answer. Therefore, keep in mind that you must speak at a regular but steady pace, clearly eliciting your words and maintaining a neutral tone. Having a good solid but short answer at a hearable volume is vital to getting a good score.
- Don’t use slang: Remember that the PTE Speaking section is aimed at assessing your ability to speak formally for academic and business communication. Therefore, try to avoid slang and informal chatter as much as possible.
- Stick to the point: It is crucial to speak precisely and concisely. Thus, attempt to avoid long thinking pauses and filler words such as “um”, “ah”, etc. to sound more polished. You can replace them with conjunctions or transitional phrases as you go. By slowing down your pace, you can plan ahead and score well in the speaking section.
- Never memorize the answers. The examiner cannot determine your English language proficiency from memorized material. If you have memorized your responses, you might forget points or get stuck and the examiner will be able to tell. It could affect your final score.
- Avoid using complex or unfamiliar terminology. In the Speaking test, you might wish to use big, difficult terms to impress the examiner. To be cautious, though, stay away from unfamiliar words. Making blunders by mispronouncing words or utilizing them incorrectly in context increases the likelihood of making mistakes. Your final score may be impacted by mistakes. Use a variety of words you are familiar with that are pertinent to the conversation.
What causes a low PTE Speaking score?
Some things which can negatively affect your PTE Speaking score include:
- Nervousness or racing thoughts and ideas can make it harder to know what to say or find the appropriate words at the right moment.
- Lack of preparation can lead to common mistakes such as mispronunciation or lack of proper enunciation. By preparing specifically for each section, you can strengthen your skills according to the scoring criterion for each type of question.
It is crucial to practice and polish your speaking skills to improve your PTE speaking score so that you can achieve your dreams. Follow our recommendations to improve your PTE Speaking score today!
Post your Comments